Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of ditching my Acheiva for a 91 Saturn SC2 5 speed manual.

It has power sunroof, power locks, windows ect. Very nice. $2,945.

Has the 1.9L Twin Cam.

What do you guys know about this car? If anything?

-Preston

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
They get good fuel economy, my friend has one and the only thing it's good at is sipping gas, the interior is all hard cheap plastic, t he seats are ok, but hard, and his 2nd gear syncro is bad. The car has 77k on it.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Don't get a Saturn for a beater, espeically one that costs so much money. You can get SHO Tauri for that price of the same year.

Unless that car has about 50 miles on it, and was kept in a heated garage all its life, tell that owner he is full of it and drop that price by about $1,000. I still would stay away from Saturds. They seem to be built fairly well, but when they break, they break bad.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
i like old saturn cars cheap to keep goin unless you drop an alternator. My friend has 92 SL1 We put the twin cam in it. they are great road course cars watched a few of them spank a 700 hp vette around an autocross track not to mention the the porsche club that showed up at the event went home crying that it was a rigged event.
By the end of the day the vette was turning better times but the fastest saturn was a 4 door SL2 with Kuhmo Ecsta 712's as the only modification.

the same friends wifes car has 150k on it and has no problems. It is also an automatic.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by sablerider@Apr 20 2004, 08:42 PM
i like old saturn cars cheap to keep goin unless you drop an alternator. My friend has 92 SL1 We put the twin cam in it. they are great road course cars watched a few of them spank a 700 hp vette around an autocross track not to mention the the porsche club that showed up at the event went home crying that it was a rigged event.
By the end of the day the vette was turning better times but the fastest saturn was a 4 door SL2 with Kuhmo Ecsta 712's as the only modification.

the same friends wifes car has 150k on it and has no problems. It is also an automatic.
a saturn smokes a 700hp vette?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
dude it was a autocross course AKA ( too much power for the course ) funny though the guy with the vette is the head of the Tennesse SCCA chapter and he is the one who mapped out the course.

By the end of the day the two fastest cars were a Mini Cooper S and the Vette.

The vette didn't beat the MINI until his very last run.

Honestly it is amazing what a good driver can do with a car that weighs nothing.

Here are two links

2003 SPC rally

Saturn Performance club

A saturn may not be fast in a straightway but speed through the corners is what really makes a car fast.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
if this guy is going to use it as a beater i guess it doesn't really matter about reliability.

price should be 2k for this car.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
to much
but on another note, my friend grand dad has a 95 SL DOHC with 170k on it and no problems he got it last year with 150k

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car is that much because they just replaced the alternator and replaced the original engine with a better running one. Still the 1.9L Twin Cam.

It's a pretty sporty lookin car, and thats what Im drawn to most. Very sleek looking. Plus it has a sunroof...I LOVE sunroofs.

I heard they were pretty fast as well. But I wont know till i get a chance to drive it.

-Preston

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by CobaltBlue91GL@Apr 21 2004, 10:37 AM
The car is that much because they just replaced the alternator and replaced the original engine with a better running one. Still the 1.9L Twin Cam.

It's a pretty sporty lookin car, and thats what Im drawn to most. Very sleek looking. Plus it has a sunroof...I LOVE sunroofs. 

I heard they were pretty fast as well. But I wont know till i get a chance to drive it.

-Preston
Fast for what, an economy car? Sure....You keep thinking that.

and keep thinking...

don't stop now...

still thinking? I hope not.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey man, I just want somethin sporty. lol

It's possible to make it faster, as we all know.

-Preston

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by CobaltBlue91GL@Apr 21 2004, 11:01 AM
Hey man, I just want somethin sporty. lol

It's possible to make it faster, as we all know.

-Preston
I'm just joking with ya

I have a friend with an SC2 standard shift. It actually is pretty quick. I suspect high 16s. It's faster than my Vulcan. It really hates load though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another reason that Im getting this car is because I really want a stick shift car.
I cant stand Automatics. Really...I cant. The SC2 is gonna be a better cruising car than My bull, thats for damn sure.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I got to drive the SC2. It is FAST. That thing sure starts to fly after 3rd gear. Very nice sound for a 4 cyl too. Nice and deep.

My ONLY complaint...the backseat is the SMALLEST I have EVER seen on ANY car. Its crazy, if you're gonna make a car with a backseat not fit for humans, just make it a 2 seat roadster or sumthin. hmm.

O well, its definately faster than my Bull and actually turned alot of heads when i was cruisin in it (test drive)

-Preston

·
Registered
887 Posts
If the Saturn has the Twin Cam, it may have an oil burning problem. They are notorious for this. The repair is expensive and the problem often re-occurrs....

Just try to verify that the particular car you're looking at doesn't have a history of that problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts