Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:ph34r: 91 Taurus GL Wagon with 3.8...

here is the story as I know it...
recently purchased with 95,000 miles, ran great, went up and down a hill, check engine light went on, then off.

A day or so later, check engine light went on and stayed on after going up and down the same hill.

Purchased a code reader, followed instructions, followed paperclip instructions, followed voltmeter instructions... couldn't pull a code... it would cycle the fan, hear lots of clicking of switches, then finish the cycle without a code read out. So I am fishing in the dark... unless there are suggestions....

more history and what I've done...

The car has had a transmission recently done, for the most part it works fine, every now and then, it won't upshift unless I drop it down to D, and it shifts and I place it back into OD and it runs fine.

The issue I am trying to solve first is this stalling thing. It seems random, and getting more frequent, hot, cold, stopping at a light, turning... doesn't seem to matter... doesn't stall while driving normally at any speed. There is a hesitation sometimes when accelerating from a full stop, if it doesn't stall first. It doesn't stall in park, or neutral though.

What I have done thus far, changed fuel filter, cleaned IAC, air filters... no avail, was reading about resetting the codes, maybe that needs to be done and will attempt next.... vaccum lines all seem to be in good enough shape... was also considering replacing/testing the throttle position sensor... anything more obvious I am missing... or any suggestions.... this car when it doesn't stall runs like a champ... this is my first ford, more familiar with Chevy's so please be patient...

thanx to all...

·
Registered
8 Posts
91 Taurus GL Wagon with 3.8...
First thing I'd look for is a bad head gasket. The 3.8L is famous for this problem and it could cause your CEL light and your stalling. Or the Torque Converter is also another thing to consider.

The car has had a transmission recently done, for the most part it works fine, every now and then, it won't upshift unless I drop it down to D, and it shifts and I place it back into OD and it runs fine.
I suspect that this is your problem. Not sure if this is a Torque Converter problem or not, but that is bad that she will not shift up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seemed to have solved the stalling problem by cleaning IAC and resetting computer... going to look at the TPS next, see if that is contributing to the upshift problem as it is not constant, and tranny is new... the CEL remains a mystery as I cannot retrieve codes... a head gasket could be a thought, not seeing any leaks, oil is still crystal clear, so hoping it's not that...

thanx,
Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
seemed to have solved the stalling problem by cleaning IAC and resetting computer... going to look at the TPS next, see if that is contributing to the upshift problem as it is not constant, and tranny is new... the CEL remains a mystery as I cannot retrieve codes... a head gasket could be a thought, not seeing any leaks, oil is still crystal clear, so hoping it's not that...
With a head gasket going south you should start to loose coolant, just keep an eye on your coolant level and if it drops all of a sudden, and you can't find any leaks, with the 3.8L... I thought that I had a slow head gasket leak as I was dropping coolant, but I would leave it parked and nothing would be on the ground. Luckly I just found where the coolant is going, and it should be a much easer fix, and cheaper too then the head gaskets..

Oh, another thing to check on these Trannies is the VSS sensor. If the car thinks it's going faster or slower then it really is the tranny will shift funny I believe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chess...

the VSS is a good thought, and was were I was going if the Throttle Pos. Sensor didn't fix it...

So where was your coolant leaking too if you couldn't see it and it wasn't the head gasket?

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
chess...

the VSS is a good thought, and was were I was going if the Throttle Pos. Sensor didn't fix it...

So where was your coolant leaking too if you couldn't see it and it wasn't the head gasket?
My coolant us leaking only if the car is warm and it seems to be around the plastic in the Rad. I have to get the car up on some jack stands to get a good look at it, or it could be the lower rad hose. It's funny that I never came accross the leak before when I started to see the coolant drop. I even parked it on a piece of cardboad box to see if I could find where it was going.

I can see the TP sensor keeping the car from upshifting if the car thinks it's always @ WOT and maybe the ECU is keeping the Tranny from upshifting??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have considered the ECU also, and it's on the list.... it would be maybe easier if I could get this code reader to spit codes, or maybe it would just confuse me more...
Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts