Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have '91 Taurus Wagon with a really strong 3.8L engine, but extensive rust, and an opportunity to acquire a 2000 Taurus sedan with an excellent body, but a bad 3.0L engine. So, my question is whether it is feasible to bring these two together. Would prefer to use the later transmission, but could keep the '91 if necessary. Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi all,

I have '91 Taurus Wagon with a really strong 3.8L engine, but extensive rust, and an opportunity to acquire a 2000 Taurus sedan with an excellent body, but a bad 3.0L engine. So, my question is whether it is feasible to bring these two together. Would prefer to use the later transmission, but could keep the '91 if necessary. Thanks.

Joe
The 2000 won't like it. I don't remember if '91 was EFI or not. If not, you'll have less of a headache with wiring. If it's on a coil pack, you'll have a larger headache with wiring. You'll have to fabricate custom motor mounts, and while you can hook it up to your 2000 tranny, I don't think the PCM will like it.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The older engine does not meet 2000 era smog standards, which even if you have no smog testing, it might cause issues with registering the vehicle. Might want to check on that first. The big problem is gonna be that the trans is computer controlled, so you have to use the newer computer and fuel injection system, which is not going to understand that you don't have a 3.0L. You will have to reflash the computer with new fuel trim tables that match the new engine.

Far more trouble that its worth, though it would be good performance wise if you can make it work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, all

Well, a lot of trouble is not something any of these components are worth, so thanks for saving me the grief.

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts