Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[/IMG]Ok here is my story! I bought this 90LX from sister in 95 with 10,000 miles on it they never even drove it in the rain.

I drove it in the summer of 95 put on 17,000 on it Till the radio quit.. It has the premium sound system with the JBL system. I remember that if i turned it to max i thought maybe at times i could hear the radio but not really.

I pulled the radio and threw the car in storage with intentions of getting the raido checked out I think it had a tape deck in it also and has a CD player under it.

Anyway its been 16years later! Just pulled the car out of storage! I lost the radio cant remember where it is. Dont know if it was a special radio or anther will just fit in.

I dont even know if itwas the amp that took a dump. Where do u think I should go from here I was thinking someone could tell me throw any radio in from a taurus and see if that was it and go to amp?

The wife wanted me to pick up new radio with a screen. Just dont want to waste money. Anyone have a radio I can try or buy or do u think it was the amp?

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Woah you stored a car for that long and it's all AOK now? COOL!

Anyways, the JBL/Premium Sound cars had a slightly different radio and had a slave cd player mounted below them for 1990+. So are you saying right now you do not have the CD player and you lack the tape/radio player?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woah you stored a car for that long and it's all AOK now? COOL!

Anyways, the JBL/Premium Sound cars had a slightly different radio and had a slave cd player mounted below them for 1990+. So are you saying right now you do not have the CD player and you lack the tape/radio player?
Yep threw a new battery in the car and preoiled it started right up. Tires need replacing though have lots of cracks.

The head unit had a tape player in it (missing) and right below it was the cd player ( Still installed in the car) that plugged into the head unit. Yea the head unit is gone lost.. I take it might be hard to find ? or not?

You wouldnt believe what this car looked like after in storage for 15+ years:eek:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That's awesome...you should post some more pics inside and out of it. Very impressive!

You know, the yard I frequent has the exact tape deck/radio you need. IIRC it's $18 w/a warranty. Want me to grab it tomorrow if it's still there?

I bet it had a nice layer of dust all over it, haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's awesome...you should post some more pics inside and out of it. Very impressive!

You know, the yard I frequent has the exact tape deck/radio you need. IIRC it's $18 w/a warranty. Want me to grab it tomorrow if it's still there?

I bet it had a nice layer of dust all over it, haha

That be great if you can get it I will pay ya for it. I havn't used pay pal for sending money but I will fig it out. This is great! I cant thank you enough. I will post more photos of inside. It still had new car smell. this car was loaded had digital dash 4 wheel disc had upgraded wheels.

I just called my brotherinlaw and bitched about the tires, said what the heck did he sell me the tires are cracked and flat spotted I just bought the car lol. He was laughing pretty good.

Send me a email with your name and address so i can send money. WOW this is great for you to do.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Cool no problem. Sent you a PM. Pulling a radio takes 15 seconds with the Ford DIN tools. No biggie. I can test if the unit at least powers up in my 87, but I don't think it'll emit any sounds since my GL is a standard issue car with no amp.

With such low mileage, I bet it is. 1990 was the first year Ford had ABS. And it was 4 channel (later reduced to 3 channel). The digital dash revision for 1990 is all digital instead of having some of the gauges digital. Enjoy the car. And the flat spotted tires, lol

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Posting for Cobra10thanniv: (Whose computer has crashed)

Buying a head unit and amps from another member. He will test each part to see which one is broken.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I got my computor back up and found out something else. When I logged in I found I already was a member on this site. I joined in 2003 and hadnt been on since. Guess that fits me since I havnt had the car out since 1995. I would guess I joined in 2003 to start trying to figure out the radio problem.

Anyway I put on little over 2000 miles on the car. Still orginal tires not flat spotted but some cracks. I havnt had time getting some new ones. I threw one front caliper on did fluids. I hit 27.3 mpg so far.

It turned out the radio amp was bad. One thing I noticed the radio is the same as whats in my 00 saleen 10 years newer yet same thing.

I appreciate all the help you guys did for me

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That's awesome man. Not many Gen 1s, heck G1 LXs left out there.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,770 Posts
Nice to know I'm not the only '90 owner here. Wanna trade dashboard covers?:D

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
What color you want? $25 @ Pull A Part in Columbia. I can pull one, strip it down and have it out in 30 minutes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts