Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 sable.

9 months and still noise in suspension are, passenger side. noise/metal sound occurs only going over pot holes. noise is not there when going over speed bump--humm

jacked wheel up,,tried moving pushing and pulling on everything, no problems. turned tired with hands at 3 and 9 o'clock not movement, same for 6 to 12 o'clock.

one guy took for a ride,he said he believes its the strut bearing/plate.

anyone had this problem before

thanks for reading and even better if you experienced this and have direction--scott

·
Registered
405 Posts
Pop the hood, stand in front of the car and bounce it up and down (if you're a lightweight get a friend to help). While you're bouncing it, if it starts making the noise, look at the top of the strut towers - if it's coming from the top of the struts it's likely the bearing plates. Won't hurt anything and isn't dangerous, it's just annoying.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My first guess would be strut bearing plates, too. It used to happen to me when the suspension suddenly became unloaded (which usually happens with potholes), so it may not make any noise on speedbumps or pushing down on the corner to bounce the suspension.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My first guess would be strut bearing plates, too. It used to happen to me when the suspension suddenly became unloaded (which usually happens with potholes), so it may not make any noise on speedbumps or pushing down on the corner to bounce the suspension.

If you bounce the crap out of it, and it is the bearing plates, it should reveal itself on rebound.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all of you so much for taking your time to diagnosis. I don't want to push dollars after dollars, i'm not working right now. if i knew for sure i would get under and replace part.

Does bouncing on car replay going over a pot hole or sewer drain, because there is constant pressure under the wheel still. Could it still be bearing plate if bouncing doesn't create the sound that it gets from going over holes and sewer plates etc?

Is sway bar out of the picture for possible the culprit?

Thanks for responding--scott

·
Registered
405 Posts
nothing is out of the picture until you find out what it is. I was just giving you a suggestion as to how to confirm the previous diagnosis - it's how I diagnosed mine.

Take the car to Monro or Midas or Pepboys and tell them you have this clunking noise... see what they come up with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Take a CLOSE look at your springs. What you're explaining is EXACTLY what I'm hearing and I know I have 2 broken springs up front on my 01 Sable.
Crank your wheel, turn the car off, and start poking around the spring.
Erick --

1 - 9 of 9 Posts