Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an intermitant problem with hesitation and inconsistant idle with my Taurus. 61,000 miles, 1988, 3.8L V6, Essex. The only code I get is 33- Egr failed to open. I checked for vaccum leaks and there seems to be none. The problem only occurs after the car is first started and dissappears after about five minutes of actual driving. Just letting the car idle doesn't really help the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Is it really the EGR? I do not want to buy a new one for 75 bucks if it is not the problem. Is there some way to check the EGR on a 1988? Winter is coming so I need to fix this issue ASAP. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Try disconnecting the EGR and cleaning it out with some carb cleaner.. This problem is pretty common on 3.8L's... Especially cars that have been driven by old grandmas as they get pretty carboned up..

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I had to replace ithe EGR valve on my '91. Not a difficult job, but it's pricey for one stinkin' valve. Did fix the problem, though.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
EGR = ???????

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation...

At part throttle, the computer opens the EGR valve to re-introduce some exhaust gasses into the intake. This improves gas mileage and reduces emissions.

At WOT, aka wide open throttle, the computer shuts the EGR valve to allow only fresh air to enter to make maximum power.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
any time the EGR malfunctions it should throw a CEL light..

I'd check both your IAC valve, and TPS..

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Is the IAC the same as the Idle Speed Control motor or the Air Bypass Valve? I can't find the IAC in my Haynes manual.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Yes, IAC and ISC are the same part.. Ford usd to call it an IAC, now its called an ISC.. I guess I'm just still old school with the acronyms..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the egr valve with the suck test. When I suck on the egr nipple (via hose) the engine does loose horsepower and will stall. This means the egr valve is fine right? So if its not that does it have to be the EGR pressure sensor to send that code 33? I did clean all the fittings and holes with carb cleaner and an still haveing same stumbling hesitation problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more thing. When i chck the codes I get the code 33 but the CEL is not on while the car is driving. It has never come on except when it briefly comes on during startup.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
My mistake... A bad EGR will always throw a code, it won't throw a CEL unless it adversely affects somethign else..

Jeramie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so if its not the egr? then what should I check next. It seems also that city gas mileage is getting progressively worse as the hesitation problem also gets worse.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
check your cat my 89 did have this prb but the guy at ford was alway telling me that i had a bad egr valve and lollllll i woon a bet cuz my car had a plate instead of a egr valve lol 50 $ and it was one of my cat where like 80 % full

run your car let it get really warm and check your cat if one get red it done if you can check it with a temp gun more accurate cuz sometime the red is gonna on top

1 - 14 of 14 Posts