Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Ill get some pictures up later, but my mom has a 1988 Chrysler LeBaron with a soft top and N/A Inline 4. and lately its been having a few problems.

First of all, for the past few months its been eating about a qt of oil every few weeks, theres no spots on the ground and no noticeable smoke, so its gotta be burning up somwhere. We have been slowly adding in 10w40 as before it was 5w30. Hoping that will solve it, but what could be causing this?

Next, the car dies after a short drive, 12v when the car is off, 12v when its on, so im assuming the alternator is bad, were going to yank that out and get it tested and replace it if needed.

Now for the minor problems.

The rear (i guess? the tiny ones in the corner) windows dont work, need to pull it up with somthing that can grip on it, and put a doorstopper in there to keep it up, then you can just push it down.

The speakers on 1/2 of the car dont work at all, they work somwhat on the drivers side, but not at all on the passenger, and its not the EQ, so im guessing the head unit took a ****, but looks pretty complicated to remove and replace.

The Speedometer and Odometer are broken, im guessing the Odometer doesnt work beacuset the Speedo doesnt work, and its probally a loose cable, but these cars look very complicated to take apart and fix compared to the Taurus. But the Tachometer works fine.

Other then that it seems to be well taken care of, we wax it every month in the summer, it has a brand new black top, the paint is red by the way.

If anyone can help that would be great :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
well idk how similar your lebaron is to mine being two years older but, i do know replacing the rear window regulators is expensive and not a fun job i have one on mine that doesnt work and it is staying that way.

the radio in mine was very easy to replace, the plastic trim pieca around the radio and hvac controls just pulled off and there were two bolts holding the radio in, the speakers are pretty easy to replace (without the infinity system with it you need a wiring diagragm cause each speaker has 4 wires and you need to use the right two) mine came with none and cut wires. they are just round speakers dont remember what size. mine had little speakers in the dash but i know the non infity cars did not have those just a cardboard peice under the grille i forget if those cars had the wiring or not. i think they changed the interior for 90 though so idk how similar it really is

as for the speedo i would probably just replace it idk i have always had problems with my digital one it never wants to light up

as for the oil it sounds like it is time for a rebuild or replacement could be valve guides, could be piston rings idk. i heard older chryslers really had an oil burning problem but i thought that was just the v6's

by your description mine looks very similar to yours does it look like this:

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yours looks almost exactly the same, 'cept you got nicer rims, this one is just steelies with bad hubcaps.

Looks like ill try plugging a new head unit to see whats up with the speakers, no clue if its the infinity system or not.

The speedo just seems like a bad cable or somthing, beacuse around 45 it will spin a little bit, then give up, like its trying, just nothing happens. I don't have the digital, just oldschool.

as for the engine, the car was bought 2 years ago for 1500, were just trying to keep it until it dies, not trying to pay for a rebuild or anything, its my moms "summer" car.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
we got pretty much everything needed for mine from a 90 in the junkyard just not the heads which i still need to find. the junkyard delivered it and when i was done stripping it they came and got it again i think it cost like 400 bucks got a ton of parts for it, same junkyard i got the entire engine for my bronco 2 for 150 and it had a pretty recent rebuild bored out and everything they even pulled it for me and loaded it up on my dads truck they are one of the decent places that doesnt try to rip you off they have maybe a 30th of the number of cars that the next closest junkyard has so they sorta have to keep prices low in order to stay in business

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, but noone in my family is very mechanically inclined THAT much, dont think any of us could take an engine apart and put it back togeather. Besides my uncle who is a mechanic, but hes over 60 now and teaching auto mechanics, just sold his shop, he wouldn't want to do an engine rebuild ever again.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
swapping out a 4 banger in the driveway isnt too hard junt need an engine hoist and a support for the tranny sometimes a jack will work basic hand tools ussualy get the job done especially on older cars if i were closer i would def help you out as i am tired of working on my lebaron lol get a used engine with low miles pull the valve cover off and oil pan look things over and most junkyard have a warrenty on their used engines of some kind ussually 30 days. could also see if your uncles class would be willing to work on it our shop class in town and at my college work on cars free of labor charges and the instructor makes sure it is done right

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha its fine, if we can get another year or two out of it we will be happy. We check it every week to see if any is needed, its usually 3-4 weeks before it needs another qt, so its bad, but not too bad.

My girlfriends aunt has a 93 lebaron for sale with a 4 banger in it for $500, only reason she is selling it is it needs breaks and rotors, none of the windows work (have been DOWN for past 2 months) so the interior is probally **** by now. And thats about it. I might buy it and fix it up to sell it or keep it myself. Have a nice convertable to cruse around it.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Bah, if it's burning oil I wouldn't bother swapping the engine out. It's an '88 Lebaron, not a Maserati Quattroporte. You may have to look at O2 sensors eventually for driveability, but a pre-'95 isn't going to get sniffed. My Subie leaks some, I just check levels. The alternator should give you @ 13.5V - 14V when the car's running, you should be able to test that yourself without yanking it.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bah, if it's burning oil I wouldn't bother swapping the engine out. It's an '88 Lebaron, not a Maserati Quattroporte. You may have to look at O2 sensors eventually for driveability, but a pre-'95 isn't going to get sniffed. My Subie leaks some, I just check levels. The alternator should give you @ 13.5V - 14V when the car's running, you should be able to test that yourself without yanking it.
[/b]
well did 88 have OBD-I or whatever? because its not throwing up any CEL's so if the o2's were bad wouldnt it be?

I know exactly what your saying about the oil, and thats what were doing.

And yeah, i tested with a voltmeter and it stayed at 12v after the car was running, didnt go up at all when it was turned on. so time for a new alt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
well did 88 have OBD-I or whatever? because its not throwing up any CEL's so if the o2's were bad wouldnt it be?

And yeah, i tested with a voltmeter and it stayed at 12v after the car was running, didnt go up at all when it was turned on. so time for a new alt.
[/b][/quote]
You may want to go to auto-rx.com and order up some auto-rx. I've used it on several old vehicles and been quite impressed with the results...causes seals to swell slightly...good for leaking valve stem seals, and will also clean out sludge and varnish...works to restore compression by freeing stuck piston rings...also causes less oil to get by stuck oil control rings. However, it will not repair blown gaskets or broken parts.

Good luck.

·
Registered
328 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]
You may want to go to auto-rx.com and order up some auto-rx. I've used it on several old vehicles and been quite impressed with the results...causes seals to swell slightly...good for leaking valve stem seals, and will also clean out sludge and varnish...works to restore compression by freeing stuck piston rings...also causes less oil to get by stuck oil control rings. However, it will not repair blown gaskets or broken parts.

Good luck.
[/b][/quote]

Rebuild sauce!

Zorin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts