Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1988 3.8 Liter V6 Essex Ford Taurus with 60,000 miles. This car is in superb shape both internally and externally. I am experienceing one small problem however. When I first start the car and operate it there is a slightly inconsistant idle. Before the car runs for 10 minutes or so there is a fairly consistant hesitation during acceleration. Once the car is operated for a little while this problem disappears and the car runs flawlessly. If I stomp on the gas during the hesitation the car will accelelerate but it is rough. It seems like the engine is not getting enough air or gas. The wires and plugs are spotless, air filter is new, and I have been putting dry gas into each tank. Before I bought the car it sat for about a year so water in the tank is possible but I have seen no improvement since adding treatment. My next geuss is the fuel filter but I thought I would post this and see if anyone else had more insight. I have not owned a Ford product in many years so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Also, is there a way to trigger code readouts on the Taurus by way of key turning sequence? Will the check engine light blink the codes somehow?

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
1988? I didn't think the 3.8 was in 88.

Sounds like you've covered the basics. Did you run fuel injector cleaner? Fuel Filter? Have you checked the injectors? PCV valve? Is the check engine light on?

I really would check those things before going to the mechanic.

Are you losing coolant? (I don't want to go there, but my head gaskets we're causing me to have a really horrible acceleration and extremely rough idleing)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed fuel filter, ran some injector cleaner, checked cap and rotor/wires/plugs and still hesitating. I went to Autozone and had them pull the engine codes even though the SES light has never come on. Code 33 is the only one that came out besides 11. EGR valve not opening, flow is not consistant. Is there a way to check the EGR or should i just replace it?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Is this just if you start it every morning after sittting over night? Because if it is my car will do the exact same thing. Mainly because over night all the oil goes the bottom of the engine. When you start it back up it circluates agian. So my mechanic told me this and ive gotten in the habit of (at least during the week for school) starting the engine and letting it run for about five minutes, I usualy go finish eating or something and then drive it. This may or not be the problem but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oil thing might be possible but why the Code 33? Also the car does teh hesitation thing after it is shut off for any amount of time. I could drive three hours, stop for coffee and when I come back out and start the car it will again take a few minutes before it runs properly. Anyone ever have this same problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts