Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the fuel pump assembly sending unit and all, to fix the gauge problem on the instrument cluster. when i filled the tank it shows full as 1/4 tank anyone know the reason for this? also when i was driving after the change, the speedometer gave out as well as both mileage counters. HELP!!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The speedometer and odometers are controlled by the speedo cable so it's either bad speedometer head, bad speedometer cable, or bay VSS.

As for the fuel gauge, it could be a bad electrical contact on the wiring harness to the instrument cluster or the float in the tank is bad.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I`ve checked the connectors and they are perfect. the whole fuel pump n assembly was changed this week and the problem persists. i got the speedo to work, the cable in the back wasnt making proper contact. Is it a possiblitly that the cluster it self is damaged when it comes to the fuel gauge?

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I don't know if they are engineered the same, but I had to replace the fuel gauge in our old 89 Topaz because it gave bad readings. I went to the trouble of replacing the fuel pump in that one before discovering the problem was the gauge.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have to replace the whole cluster or just the needle?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts