Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last year had put in new shoes, pads, rotors, and calipers and bled... car was going fine up until tonight, when i come to a stop, the front right brakes sounds its really biting down, and the rear brakes are giving out a grinding sound...any ideas? (front disc/back drum)

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
About the only way to diagnose is to look at them. If they are worn down to metal, then something's preventing the brake system from letting up when you take your foot off the pedal.

Could be master cylinder, proportioning valve, brake lines (clogged w/dirt or rust) or even the pedal pivot. Unless you drive with your left foot on the brake...

If they aren't down to metal, then possibly the pads/shoes are rubbing on the rotor or drum where no brake pad has gone before. You'll need to investigate to find out why (failing bearing? shoe hold-downs failed? caliper or pad pins loose?)

Or, in the case of the drums, a tiny pebble or bit of grit has entered -- both not if both suddenly started doing it at once.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i drove the car this morning before i went taking off wheels, and the noise from the back went away.. my guess is the parking brake release isnt releasing properly, as for the front, the right side pads was to the metal and messed the rotor bad...left side had about a CM left of pad.. i guess prostop ceramic isnt all what its beefed up to be... only got roughly 7k miles off them.

BTW anyone know of a quikie way to set the new pads into the rotors without killing half the life of the pads?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts