Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see plenty of posts on the 90-95 clusters, but can't find any info on the earlier 86-89 clusters. I'm trying to find out if a tach cluster from an '88 sable will work in my non-tach '89 taurus. From what I've read most of the clusters are just plug and play. Is this the case with the earlier ones?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm very interested in your findings if that's any help. I actually was able to plug and play a no frills Ford head unit from 1998 into my 1989 Taurus. And I'm pretty sure the instrument cluster from that era will plug right in, but having the Tach work may be another issue, of course.

I'm thinking you'll need an actual tach speed cable since these cars weren't using electronically controlled transmissions, but I don't have my books here, I can definitely take a look at them tomorrow and see for sure if this is the case.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually these cars use only one type of harness, except for the digital dash...so I'm thinking it will probably work.

I like the project log you have there. I drove a '90 Taurus that was in our family in high school. We had that guy for 13 years...all kinds of childhood memories in that thing! Had to get another one a few weeks ago to help with the commute mileage I'm putting on my newer truck. Your right...you don't see many of the Gen. 1's around too much anymore. Kind of sad...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I looked through one of my books today and found a bit of conflicting info, one of the pages dealing with removing the sable/taurus instrument cluster mentioned removing the tach cable.

But the page about the tach said it was all electronic.

I don't know if you are pulling the cluster or buying one, but would like to hear back on what you experience. The best I can do to help would be to include a pic for the wiring up.

Also looking at the AXOD trans in the book, didn't give me any clue about cabling for the tach, other than saying there was a speed sensor in the trans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts