Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
6x9 speakers in rear deck of my 06, or how I spent a Sunday afternoon part2: SUCCESS!

You may have seen my first post of how I unsuccessfully installed 6x9 speakers in the rear deck...

Link here: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/117...deck-my-06-how-i-wasted-sunday-afternoon.html

Well, it was unsuccessful and sounded awful because I DID IT WRONG! I used some cheap plastic 1.5" spacers. Which of course, sounded like CRAP! They had lots of airspace around them! :angry:

(and BTW, these were UNDERNEATH the carpet deck cover, warped it up at an awful angle! Not to mention suffocating the tweeters and midrange speakers)

OH WELL... at least the Dynamat was a good idea...

By the way... here are the speakers I am using: Bazooka ELC6903P 6x9
(have PIONEER 5x7 in front doors)

Now on to part TWO: This weekend I did it right!

Saturday afternoon I used 3/4" thick spacers made from MDF, then sealed the gaps with foam weatherstripping and caulk. Also filled in every little hole with caulk, larger ones with caulk and duct tape. Let caulk dry overnight...

(Also had to remove LATCH buckles so the spacers would fit, don't use them anyway.)

Sunday afternoon I remounted the carpet panel and cut holes out, and top mounted the speakers with grilles...
(also enlarged holes for plastic LATCH covers to move over 1" for clearance)

Never mind the red duct tape holding the wiring up, I will fix that issue later. (Also spliced in wiring on previous date, wanted to relocate from deck to trunk, where it belongs.)

To sum things up... IT SOUNDS AWESOME!
I can't believe how much of a difference 6x9's made. It's amazing the amount of bass my car has now. No subwoofer or amplifier. Just powered by the Pioneer head unit:

******************************************************************************************************************

·
Registered
81 Posts
Alright! Looks awesome. And it's nice to see that you went back to get er done right!
Question: would say that that bass quality is sufficient enough to not need an actual sub without being detrimental to the overall sound quality?

This winter I installed a Kenwood HU & Rockford Fosgate 5x7s all around and I love the results but there could be just a little bit more low end. My concern that the addition of a stand-alone sub would be more than fits my taste...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Honestly, I would say the 6x9's definitely fills the bass enough to not need a subwoofer.

Besides the usual rock and metal I normally listen to, I have been playing rap and dubstep techno today, and I am amazed how much deep bass they put out. BASS YOU CAN NOT ONLY HEAR, BUT FEEL!!! And outside the car I noticed they actually rattles the trunk lid! Vibrates the mirrors too!

I was going to get a sub, but no need now! :D
HECK, I say get you some Rockford Fosgate (or another brand) 6x9's and try them out!

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, I had the same experience is my car. I'm running of the stock RCU, and with the right speakers, it sounds great. I wish my luck was as good on my Thunderbird. I might have to run new wires on that. It seems to buzz and distort easily with the Alpine speakers I'm running. I believe they were like and S series or something like that, anyway the nicer Alpines, and I have to think that there must be a wiring problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did your rear deck have speaker grills or did the carpeting just cover up the speakers?

My 96 has these grills so the carpet also has holes already in it but they are kinda funny shaped so I don't think an after market grill wouldn't exactly cover em completely. (see pics)

Is it unheard of to mount them from the trunk side?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
'00-'07 don't have speaker grilles. The parcel shelf just covers the speakers and is thinner over the speakers. You could mount them from the trunk, it's just the stock speakers are top-mounted and it's just easier to take them out and put new ones in that way.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update:
Routed the speaker wir
ing differently today and added the sticker that came with the speakers. Made for a much cleaner look.

******************************************************************************************************************

1 - 12 of 12 Posts