Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced all the speakers in my 2002 SES sedan last week and saw a large hole in the middle of the rear deck. In other threads they mentioned it looked to be a 6x9 hole. Can someone confirm that this is the size? I don't feel like taking the back of the car apart just to find that out.... haha

Anyway, when I replaced the speakers I noticed that there was an unused plug attached to the rim of that hole. Is this the plug for a sub/speaker? My dad has a JBL 6x9 speaker I can have. Would anyone know how to wire it up? I am using the mach amp.

Thanks!

Derek

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yes it is a 6x9 hole. The plug there isn't for a sub/speaker. You won't have the wiring for it. Only 1996 models had a sub and wiring in that location. You would need the 1996 JBL RCU, sub, and wiring to get that to work. You can put an aftermarket 6x9 sub in that space, but you'll need a line-out converter and probably an aftermarket amp to hook that up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
As the others said a 6x9 will fit, Id just figure a way to wire the speakers in series-parallel or something

EDIT: I would run the three speakers in series, and bridge the speaker outputs, though make sure its safe to do on the Mach amp. idk if it'll fry the amp :(

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
As the others said a 6x9 will fit, Id just figure a way to wire the speakers in series-parallel or something

EDIT: I would run the three speakers in series, and bridge the speaker outputs, though make sure its safe to do on the Mach amp. idk if it'll fry the amp :(
Three 8 ohm speakers in series would be a 24 ohm load to your amp. It won't hurt the amp, but you might not get the volume you're looking for with a resistance load that high. Two 5x7's in parallel and then series'ed to the 6x9 will give you a 12 ohm load and more volume...
Or you could install JBL sound. I like mine...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If you want 6x9 rear speakers, it probably would have been the easiest to install 6x9 speakers in the 6x8 holes. There exist adapters that are mounted on the back side that would allow a 6x9 speaker to be installed. If you want a subwoofer and you have already gone through finding and buying LOC and amplifier, and it much better to put a small subwoofer box in the trunk instead of finding a 6x9 subwoofer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.