Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I've had my Gen4 for about a year now and am excited about finally upgrading it this summer. Nothing performance-wise, but I want to make my baby sparkle. Unfortunately, she does have a few quirks. The biggest of which is her bad compressor clutch, which is being replaced next week.

Next up is her collection of dents and body damage.

This was caused in a Christmas-eve incident in which I was nearly T-boned. I swerved and we both slammed on the brakes quick enough and all that happened was that her license plate scraped the side of my bumper. I'm thankful that that's all that happened... but still... one more inch to the right and no damage would have been caused. I'm assuming that the entire bumper will need to be replaced to make my baby sparkle again, right? Can I get confirmation on that?

The car came with this second love bump, under the passenger-side back door. Is this a simple door panel removal, hammer to the inside of the door job? Or will this take a little bit more work and a little more money? It's pretty close to being creased.

And last but not least. If you aren't actually looking for it, this dent is barely noticable at all. It's just above the wheel well. I don't mind it terribly, but if it's an easy fix I'd love to do it. Unfortunately this appears to be pretty creased and there's really no way I can get to it from the inside, is there?

Once these things are fixed, and a stock spoiler is installed, my baby is getting a fresh coat of paint, followed by a nice tint job. Thanks for the help, folks. See you in the COTM forums in a few months :rolleyes2:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
For the bumper to be perfect again...yeah, any body shop would replace it. It could be patched up, but it's end up costing more in labor than just prepping and painting a fresh cover.

The dent on the back door might be able to be taken care of by a good paintless dent removal person. Have them take a look at the front fender, too. It's hard to tell the extent of the damage on the fender because of the reflections, but they'd be able to give you a better idea.

Heck, if you're getting it painted, it might be cheaper to snag a fender and a bumper at a junkyard and have them painted and installed when you have the whole thing painted. Could probably grab the spoiler for a lot less than a new one too. Just don't leave anything when you get it painted...it'll drive you nuts forever! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just this past week I went to MAACO and got an estimate on the back door. They wanted to fill it, and gave me a price of $595.

...I think I can live with it.

I've also decided against a new paint job. I'm going to just get some touchups done and take care of any other scrapes and swirls myself, to save money.

Once the comp clutch is fixed this week I'll be looking for a new bumper.

Thanks for the insight and response, ford_ses :lol2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
fill it with bondo for 595. i would to save money take door panel off and see if it can be reached body should only be use in the very least. im sure you could use a hammer handle to push it back out then do some bondo. just my 2cents. oh and pocket the 595 for other things

·
Registered
151 Posts
Beware! MAACO will paint over bird **** and pinstripes! (No Offense to an MAACO guys here) but when you pay $400 for a paint job you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, definitely not hitting up MAACO if I do get it fixed.

warlhayd, I actually did just as you suggested two days ago and took off the door panel. Unfortunately, I can barely fit my arm down in the hole provided and the dent is just too far down to reliably push it out. I'm going to try once more tomorrow, and if that fails then I'm calling it quits and am going to learn to live with the hump.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I still think a PDR guy could get that out pretty well, to the point most won't ever notice. I want to say it should be like $60 for the first dent, but you'd have to call around. Dents after the first normally get cheaper...you might get the front fender back they way it should be at the same time.

For $595 on the Maaco quote...I'd get a new door if the damage was actually that bad (which it isn't). Save that for the bumper cover and paintwork :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts