Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to satisfy my curiosity, what all would be involved in doing an engine swap from a DOHC V6 to a 6A13 engine (Mitsu. Galant vr4 V6 Twin) engine
the Galant vr4 is 5 speed manual AWD, will that make a difference or would i have to have the same setup on my vehicle to make the swap complete?

How hard and is it even worth it to make it a 5 speed auto?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Watch this video:

Awesome car? Awesome sounding engine? Nice power output? If you answered yes to any of the preceding questions, then I know exactly where you can find this engine. It's already underneath your hood, the only thing that seperates the Noble engine from the Taurus engine is a pair of turbo manifolds and a pair of T25 turbos. The Duratec that Noble uses is a bone stock Ford unit.

As for your 5-spd auto question. Is it possible? Yeah, the Mazda6 and the FWD Jag both used the same 5-spd automatic, bolted to the 3.0L Duratec. It offers sport shifting, but the wiring for this transmission is going to be a nightmare.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Watch this video:

Awesome car? Awesome sounding engine? Nice power output? If you answered yes to any of the preceding questions, then I know exactly where you can find this engine. It's already underneath your hood, the only thing that seperates the Noble engine from the Taurus engine is a pair of turbo manifolds and a pair of T25 turbos. The Duratec that Noble uses is a bone stock Ford unit.

As for your 5-spd auto question. Is it possible? Yeah, the Mazda6 and the FWD Jag both used the same 5-spd automatic, bolted to the 3.0L Duratec. It offers sport shifting, but the wiring for this transmission is going to be a nightmare.
Did not know that... which brings me to my next follow up question...
would it be more beneficial to put a turbo on the V6 and if so what would be the best way? cheapest way?

transmission wise, best to attempt to convert to 5spd manual? best example would be this months COTM (tho this question and this months COTM is purely coincidental ofcourse :p)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Did not know that... which brings me to my next follow up question...
would it be more beneficial to put a turbo on the V6 and if so what would be the best way? cheapest way?

transmission wise, best to attempt to convert to 5spd manual? best example would be this months COTM (tho this question and this months COTM is purely coincidental ofcourse :p)
Turbo and cheap usually don't go together. Sure you may be able to find a used one on ebay or craigslist or "from a guy you know" on the cheap, but throwing it on there without having it rebuilt by the pros and you run the high risk of the turbo grenading and throwing bearing shrapnel into your intake and then into the engine.

Now with the scary words out of the way, if I wanted to do it simply and "cheaply", I would mount the turbo right after the y-pipe. That way you don't have to worry about modifying any manifolds. As for turbo selection, I plotted out some maps:

Garrett T04E 50 Trim, starts at 2,000, peak eff at 4,500, out of breath at 6,500
Garrett T04E 46 Trim, starts at 2,000, peak eff at 3,500, out of breath at 6,500
Garrett GT2540R 48 Trim, starts at 2,500, peak eff at 5,000, out of breath at 7,250
Garrett GT30R 56 trim, starts at 2,250, peak eff at 4,500, out of breath at 7,000 (This turbo is useless unless you are turning high amounts of boost)
Mitsu TD05H-16G, starts at 2,500, peak eff at 4,000, out of breath at 6,500
Mitsu TD06-20G, starts at 2,500, peak eff at 4,000, out of breath at 7,000

The Mitsu turbos would probably be easier to find used. A little Google-research will yield what vehicles these turbos came stock on.

Fuel injectors will also have to be upgraded and an SCT tune will have to be sought out specifically for the parameters you are working with.

As for manual transmission, did the G4 Duratec come with a manual option? Can't remember. If not, again the Mazda6 has the answer, they offered a 5-spd manual bolted to their 3.0 Duratec.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbo and cheap usually don't go together. Sure you may be able to find a used one on ebay or craigslist or "from a guy you know" on the cheap, but throwing it on there without having it rebuilt by the pros and you run the high risk of the turbo grenading and throwing bearing shrapnel into your intake and then into the engine.

Now with the scary words out of the way, if I wanted to do it simply and "cheaply", I would mount the turbo right after the y-pipe. That way you don't have to worry about modifying any manifolds. As for turbo selection, I plotted out some maps:

Garrett T04E 50 Trim, starts at 2,000, peak eff at 4,500, out of breath at 6,500
Garrett T04E 46 Trim, starts at 2,000, peak eff at 3,500, out of breath at 6,500
Garrett GT2540R 48 Trim, starts at 2,500, peak eff at 5,000, out of breath at 7,250
Garrett GT30R 56 trim, starts at 2,250, peak eff at 4,500, out of breath at 7,000 (This turbo is useless unless you are turning high amounts of boost)
Mitsu TD05H-16G, starts at 2,500, peak eff at 4,000, out of breath at 6,500
Mitsu TD06-20G, starts at 2,500, peak eff at 4,000, out of breath at 7,000

The Mitsu turbos would probably be easier to find used. A little Google-research will yield what vehicles these turbos came stock on.

Fuel injectors will also have to be upgraded and an SCT tune will have to be sought out specifically for the parameters you are working with.

As for manual transmission, did the G4 Duratec come with a manual option? Can't remember. If not, again the Mazda6 has the answer, they offered a 5-spd manual bolted to their 3.0 Duratec.
you are insanely helpful! you have all my thanks.

now, i will go to the drawing board and plan for when i pay my car off to do such modifications B)

·
Registered
619 Posts
No Taurus or Sable Built after 95 had a factory manual, even as an option. Only way to get one was a SHO, and that one uses a different bellhousing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Stateside, the Mazda6 only came with a 6-spd manual on the Mazdaspeed model, which was an AWD layout.

However in Europe and Australia a 6-spd manual was found in FWD layout on the turbo diesel engine, which I am not familiar with at all. Some quick research shows the MZR CD shares the same bellhousing as the Mazda FE 4-cylinder, which was used in the 626, Probe, etc. In other words, it won't work.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stateside, the Mazda6 only came with a 6-spd manual on the Mazdaspeed model, which was an AWD layout.

However in Europe and Australia a 6-spd manual was found in FWD layout on the turbo diesel engine, which I am not familiar with at all. Some quick research shows the MZR CD shares the same bellhousing as the Mazda FE 4-cylinder, which was used in the 626, Probe, etc. In other words, it won't work.
ah... thank you yet again sensei for enlightening me :D

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I think the PCM would be a large challenge as the trans controls are integrated into it. If you take the PCM from the donor car, the other stuff in the car would likely not work with it (keyless entry, instruments, etc). If you want a car with a 6sp manual, buy one that came with it from the factory. Of course, anything can be done with enough time and $.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts