Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bored out my throttle body to 63 mm this weekend. I also polished the primary ports, and ported and polished my secondary ports on my upper intake manifold. I'm waiting on a S&B Conical 3.5" air filter now so I can bolt on my MAF adapter to make a shorty air intake system. I've already noticed slightly better top end HP, I'm hoping the larger air filter will make even more of a difference.

For anybody else out there who's bored out there TB, did you make your own throttle plate? They're rather difficult to make because of there elliptical shape. Now my car idles are 1200 RPM fully warmed up, with IAC unplugged. Guess I'll have to try to make another.

Tranny acting a little quirky too now. Car doesn't like to downshift now. I can slow down to 15 MPH, and floor it, but it only downshifts to 2nd. Is there any vacuum hoses that I could have missed to plug in that would cause this?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, got the tranny problem fixed, I eventually got a CEL 122, low TPS input. Replaced the TPS for $30, and the transmission shifts normally. Just need to make up a new throttle plate, now.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by metalliman@Jul 25 2004, 06:37 AM
I bored out my throttle body to 63 mm this weekend.  I also polished the primary ports, and ported and polished my secondary ports on my upper intake manifold.  I'm waiting on a S&B Conical 3.5" air filter now so I can bolt on my MAF adapter to make a shorty air intake system.  I've already noticed slightly better top end HP, I'm hoping the larger air filter will make even more of a difference.

For anybody else out there who's bored out there TB, did you make your own throttle plate?  They're rather difficult to make because of there elliptical shape.  Now my car idles are 1200 RPM fully warmed up, with IAC unplugged.  Guess I'll have to try to make another.

Tranny acting a little quirky too now.  Car doesn't like to downshift now.  I can slow down to 15 MPH, and floor it, but it only downshifts to 2nd.  Is there any vacuum hoses that I could have missed to plug in that would cause this?
I wonder how difficult it'd be to calculate the formula for that shape... if you could get the formula for it, you could replicate that shape an infinite number of times on a simple C&C drilling machine or something. That's how I got a 120mm hole drilled in the side of my case, because I didn't have a hole saw bit that large for my power drill. Thanks, math! (and my local community college for undertaking the drilling part)

EDIT: my *computer* case, that is :)

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know now what the problem is with the throttle plate. I need to elongate the slot in the throttle spindle as opposed to narrowing the throttle plate to fit in the original slot.

As for using a CNC vertical mill to machine the plate, this would require making up some sort of fixture, which wouldn't be very difficult, unfortunately, I don't run that machine.

As for making some up for TCCA, I'm not totally sure about that. I spent about a half hour just filing the elliptical shape into this one, if I could find any easy way to machine the shape, I would have no problem making some up, providing that there is interest in this. I can also provide TB boring services too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts