Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

6.5"s In The Front Door 5x7 Openings?

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mcgilles 
#1 ·
I believe I've heard of people that were able to build the appropriate adapter to mount a 6.5" driver in the 5x7" (or 6x8 depending on who you talk to) hole in the front doors of a gen III. anyone on here done it? and can it even be done? the people in the car installation section of my fav audio store say it can be done, but it looks to me that in order for the driver to fit you would have to space it out pretty far to where the narrower part of the basket will fit in the hole. then you have the issue of making sure not to space too far and allow the driver to come into contact with the interior door panels. so if anyone has any experience with trying to make this work, let me know how you did it and how hard it was! I'll make an attempt myself shortly. if it doesn't fit I'll just exchange these for the 5 1/4" versions, they'll fit like a glove.

thanks!

#2 ·
I have 6.5" speakers in my doors. They fit fine. I didn't need to fabricate anything to mount them. I just used the holes that existed in the basket to mount a couple screws. I think I have three screws holding them in the door. There are no problems with vibration or anything. You can use tape of some sort (I used electrical) to fill the gaps. It really doesn't make any difference.

JR

#3 ·
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 12 2004, 07:36 AM
I have 6.5" speakers in my doors. They fit fine. I didn't need to fabricate anything to mount them. I just used the holes that existed in the basket to mount a couple screws. I think I have three screws holding them in the door. There are no problems with vibration or anything. You can use tape of some sort (I used electrical) to fill the gaps. It really doesn't make any difference.

JR
do you have any pictures of it at all? I really want to believe that its that simple, but when I tried to fit the 6.5" speaker in my 5x7 opening it woulnd't fit, the basket of the speaker hits the sides of the opening with about 1/2" farther it needs to go in order for the mounting holes to fit up with the door panel. I must be missing something because the people at the store said it was possible to fit a 6.5 in a 5x7 opening with this little adapter they had. but I just don't see how it can possibly fit. you didn't cut your opening bigger at all? and you just slid it into the opening and it went in far enough to attach with 3 screws? are you sure they are 6.5"?
thanks! this gives me hope that I just might be able to make them fit.

#4 ·
They're definitely 6.5" speakers and they definitely fit, but they might have a smaller basket than yours do, so that's why they fit better. I unfortunately don't have any pics of it, and won't have time to take the door panel off to take any for some time. If you run into that big of a problem, just cut the panel. Either use a dremel, a reciprocating saw, or simply file it down. Either way, enlarging the hole isn't that big a deal...just make sure there are no wires in the way!

As for the adapter, those typically mount the speaker at a higher depth, so that the basket penetrates the door less, but the speaker sits further out. I don't think it'll work on a Taurus, because the inner door panel is relatively close the metal as it is! I couldn't even fit my crossovers in there.

JR

#6 ·
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 12 2004, 01:29 PM
They're definitely 6.5" speakers and they definitely fit, but they might have a smaller basket than yours do, so that's why they fit better. I unfortunately don't have any pics of it, and won't have time to take the door panel off to take any for some time. If you run into that big of a problem, just cut the panel. Either use a dremel, a reciprocating saw, or simply file it down. Either way, enlarging the hole isn't that big a deal...just make sure there are no wires in the way!

As for the adapter, those typically mount the speaker at a higher depth, so that the basket penetrates the door less, but the speaker sits further out. I don't think it'll work on a Taurus, because the inner door panel is relatively close the metal as it is! I couldn't even fit my crossovers in there.

JR
yeah, I know what you mean. that panel does come pretty close. I plan on building a spacer anyway, no other way for me to do it really, I want to seal the speaker in there, makes it sound better. so some sort of an adapter will be in order. I just want to avoid having to cut the sheet metal. I'd rather be able to put the stock speaker back in if I ever had to some day. so I'll see what happens. I know the speakers I have have wide baskets on them, but not that much bigger. they're MB Quart Premium series PCE216 I think? maybe I'll try to take apic of what it look slike when I get mine in there, I mean they hit with a good 1/2" to go.
thanks for all the help!

#7 ·
I have some 6.5" components in my doors as well. I used a 1/2" piece of wood to make an adaptor for each of the mids. Just traced around the outside edge of the 5x7/6x8's frame and the inside edge of the grill for the components. Cut them out and then drilled holes in the adaptors where the mounting holes for the stock speakers are and used the screws that where holding the stock speakers in place to hold the adaptor. Then you will have an adaptor that you could take off and put the stock speakers back in if needed. Not to hard to make. Took about 30 minutes to make. :banana:

Hope this helps.

#8 ·
Even if you do cut the door panel, you would still be able to put the originals back in. Since you're only notching out a small section of the sheet metal, the originals would still fit into the opening, they would just have some space to the sides of the basket.

I agree that it is very easy to make the adapters with a piece of 1/2" plywood. What you have to worry about is how tall the speaker is. If it's a tall speaker (height above the basket, that is), then you'll have problems in mounting the door panel correctly, as it'll either bulge or just not fit.

I haven't seen any differences in the door panel being sealed behind the speaker, as there are holes in the door panel already, and you're not sealing anything if air can escape from other places.

JR

#10 ·
I cut out an MDF spacer to mount in my little crapola Sony's. Get some 1/2" MDF, measure the 6.5" needed and cut it out. Make sure when you cut out the outer ring of the spacer it completely isolates the front of the speaker from the basket when installed. The reason for this is the speaker cone pushes air one way, it clearly does not create new air, it pushes it from the rear. The sound waves generated from the front are the same as those coming from the back of the speaker, but those coming from the back are inverse (negative) waves. When the two are both coming at you they cancel each other out and you get no bass. With those beautifully sounding components (MB Quart rules) you want a good install and they will put a huge smile on your face. :)

#11 ·
yeah, I think I've got it. I made a 1/4" spacer with thermoplastic, and then used the supplied spacers that come with the speakers, which also include a rim for attaching the grill. the two of them together is about 1/2" spacing, and the rim will be the thing that touches the door panel instead of the speaker. the door panel still touches, but just berely, and this way its not the delicate parts that are touching, its the plastic rim of the spacer. should be okay. but now I'm really worried about getting the wires through, not enough room to install the crossovers in the doors, plus I couldn't get to them to adjust it. but that's a topic of another thread, going to go make it right now, anyone with insight on that problem please check it out. I'll need some advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.