Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the gentleman I bought my car from seemed good enough. A young family guy. While I was looking at the car, he even pointed out all of the little nicks and scratches around the car, even the peeling pain on the radiator... generally stuff I would never have noticed. Then he dropped the bombshell that it was his first car... but I shrugged it off since he seemed genuinely interested in keeping up with and learning how to do regular maintenance while he owned it.

Well, shortly after I drove away I went for an oil change and was informed that he'd forced on the wrong filter. Mmm... okay, whatever. Oil everywhere, but whatever.

Now, months later, I've finally gotten to looking at the quarts of Pennzoil he left in the trunk for topping off and... one of them is 5W-30, one is 5W-20.

Assuming the worst - what may have happened to engine if he either did a full change with 5W20 or mixed a quart of it with 5W30 unknowingly?...

Thanks car sentinels. B)

·
Registered
697 Posts
So the gentleman I bought my car from seemed good enough. A young family guy. While I was looking at the car, he even pointed out all of the little nicks and scratches around the car, even the peeling pain on the radiator... generally stuff I would never have noticed. Then he dropped the bombshell that it was his first car... but I shrugged it off since he seemed genuinely interested in keeping up with and learning how to do regular maintenance while he owned it.

Well, shortly after I drove away I went for an oil change and was informed that he'd forced on the wrong filter. Mmm... okay, whatever. Oil everywhere, but whatever.

Now, months later, I've finally gotten to looking at the quarts of Pennzoil he left in the trunk for topping off and... one of them is 5W-30, one is 5W-20.

Assuming the worst - what may have happened to engine if he either did a full change with 5W20 or mixed a quart of it with 5W30 unknowingly?...

Thanks car sentinels. B)
Not to worry. 5W20 has been recommended by Ford for the Gen 4 Vulcan (and I believe Duratec) engines and I have at times used 5W30 with no ill effects. I would think the Gen 3 Duratec would be fine with 5W20 as well. Mixing them is not a serious issue either although you should stick to the recommended weight in the owner's manual.

Most important is that the oil is clean and if not, changed and that you have the proper, high quality filter like the Purolator Pure 1 or Motorcraft. The filter in particular can have a bearing on the initial lubrication at start-up and whether oil can bypass the filter when running so a well-designed filter is very important.

There has been debate as to whether Ford specifying 5W20 was to increase the average gas mileage over running 5W30.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Just stick with good 5W30 from now on. Syntethic...
If you are wory about the eventual deposits due to the mixing, I did use once Auto-RX to clean my engine.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Other than a collapse in the space-time continuum, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
^ :lol:

You'll be fine.

My 'tec has 0W-20 when I bought it. No idea why...still going fine :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Nothing to worry about at all. It's still oil...at least he wasn't adding tranny ur brake fluid back into the engine after a change.

·
Banned
323 Posts
You don't need to use synthetic. The blended Motorcraft oil is what Ford recommends, and that's all I have been using in all my vehicles. The Taurus currently has 162,000 miles on it and runs like a Swiss watch. Doesn't use or leak any oil what so ever....Personally, in the 40 or so years I have owned a car, I have never put anything in my engines except oil. I don't believe in additives or ''clean out'' chemicals...

Using 5w-20 in a Duratec won't hurt it. I've used 5w-20 in the winter and 5w-30 in the summer. The Duratec engine in my Edge calls for 5w-20 oil year 'round.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent. Thanks folks.

I knew mixing oils of the same weight was okay enough, but I had never heard of anybody combining 30 and 20. And regardless, he may not have even done it - what I'm seeing may be the result of him simply grabbing two quarts of oil off the shelf and not seeing that whoever stocked them mixed product.

Cheers. :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I use 5w-20 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic or Fords Motorcraft brand (Synthetic blend) 5w-20 and a K&N HP-2009 for my vulcan OHV since I have owned my car with no oil related issues. I'm thinking I might switch to Royal Purple though....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So since this 'which oil' conversation is already underway, I'd might as well ask; I just brought the car to Arizona, and things seem to be headed for 100 degrees through September. And even in the coldest part of winter it doesn't seem to get below 65 degrees here.

Given the climate, would I be better served by something other than the recommended 5w30? I'm also interested in increasing fuel economy, and I had no idea oil type had a bearing on that... Educate me! :D

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Using 5w-20 in a Duratec won't hurt it. I've used 5w-20 in the winter and 5w-30 in the summer...
And this is also because that's what Ford recomends, no?
FYI the second number (20 or 30) shows to the vascosity of the oil with engine WARMED UP. That would be the same temperature summer or winter... First number (5W) is the one with the cold engine and is the one that Ford recomends to be 5W in winter/summer (or newer even as low as 0W) and might be even 10W in the summer.
As for "don't use syntetics" - Ford has two kinds of oils for this engine - normal grade is blended syntethic and premium is full syntethic. So tell them too that their engines don't need "syntethics"...

·
Registered
23,582 Posts
In your climate (Az), i would use walmarts supertech 10/30 (6 qts.-5qt. jug and a single) with a supertech oil filter (#ST2) year round in a 98 tec changed ea. 5k mi. If you wanna splurge once in awhile, you can slap on a motorcraft 820s oil filter also available for cheap at wallyworld.

·
Banned
323 Posts
And this is also because that's what Ford recommends, no?
FYI the second number (20 or 30) shows to the viscosity of the oil with engine WARMED UP. That would be the same temperature summer or winter... First number (5W) is the one with the cold engine and is the one that Ford reccomends to be 5W in winter/summer (or newer even as low as 0W) and might be even 10W in the summer.
As for "don't use synthetics" - Ford has two kinds of oils for this engine - normal grade is blended synhtethic and premium is full synthethic. So tell them too that their engines don't need "synthethics"...

Careful....if you act like an ass clown TOO much, Nazi Dan will ban you for a while.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Same for you if you continue to insult people.
I just stated the truth and even show the evidence of what I stated.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Oil

Excellent. Thanks folks.

I knew mixing oils of the same weight was okay enough, but I had never heard of anybody combining 30 and 20. And regardless, he may not have even done it - what I'm seeing may be the result of him simply grabbing two quarts of oil off the shelf and not seeing that whoever stocked them mixed product.

Cheers. :)
Much of the pulblic does not know or care, they just put oil in. Never seems to matter. I only use 10W-30. Buy it in 5Q containers. I keep some 1Q jugs and pour it up in a few, and even use in the small engines. Mower ride, Mower push, chipper, chipper vac, snow blower, & tiller.

I believe, if the makers of cars had their way, there would be NO 5W anything. They are pushed there by EPA and activists. Doubt if it makes a 0.1 mpg difference, maybe about the same as adding 1# of air to the tires.

Maybe more important is changing the filter. When I buy a used car, I would take the filter that was on it, cut it open, take out one pleat inch long or so, dip it in naptha, let it dry to get the liquid oil out. Then in the lab where I worked, looked at it uder a 30X periscope. Usually some ultra tiny shiny things, check with a magnet to see if they are steel. 99% of what I would see in a clean engine is amber to brown balls, plugging up the pores. They are carbon. I have seen guys who work in that lab, fill a new fulter with oil and drain it out. Then weigh it on the lab scales compared to the used filter same brand and number, and determine the weight of stuff it kept out of the engine. Of course, I could pick each one up and feel the difference. And that is with clean well running engines.

-chart-

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ha - I just read my lease and apparently I'm not allowed to change auto fluids on apartment complex property. Damn.

But I guess that's okay, since I don't have ramps or an anything to actually drop the oil into anyways.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.