Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been investigating why my 5amp radio fuse keeps blowing in my 1996 Taurus. I have researched and it runs both the radio head/air con controls and speedometer which are both not working. I have disconnected the radio head and the fuse still blows. I have even removed the interior fuse box and checked all the connections - there is no evidence of any issue. I have however found this relay near the amp in the trunk which appears corroded and even rubbed through. Any idea of this is on the same circuit and what the purpose of it is?
Sleeve Finger Gas Thumb Handwriting

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Since the relay is not in a socket but soldered in you can use any generic relay with sufficient coil volts (12V) and current capacity = or over what is in place. See pic.
I would cut the wires and take the old relay and dip in household ammonia and use a brush to clean and should find which terminal is which. As in my pics, the posts are numbered in the diagram and numbered on the bottom the same. You will be using 4 of the 5 posts. 85 and 86 are the coil, no polarity needed. Surely 87a will not be used. No polarity needed in the contacts.
It looks like the yellow wire is shotred to the apparent black due to loss of insulation and corrosion. Generic relay available on Amazon, Ebay, or parts house.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turns out this relay controls the electric antenna - but in the end what was blowing the 5amp fuse was a broken odometer drive gear and the electric motor was tripping the fuse as the broken gear was jamming any movement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts