Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a scale 1-10. 5 being ive swapped a 400 smallinto a rx7 how bad will a full 97 taurus wagon full conversion to a mustang or crown vic rwd suspension 5.0 and everything else thatll go with it be
And any sugestions on the easiest mus/vic years to swap too

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I once had a 1991 Thunderbird 5.0 Sport. Body was rusting to hell and I loved that car.

I got the tape measure out on it and a 1997 SHO and the wheelbases and width were very close between the cars. I came pretty close to getting out the plasma torch, gantry, and welder.

If you are a good fabricator, I would consider this route - just splice them at the floor pan.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think your biggest issue would be that the front of the Taurus has a engine cradle to mount the engine to, and the mustang uses the existing Uni-Body frame rails. Once you get a engine cradle fabbed to mount into the existing Taurus engine cradle mounts, the job would get a lot simpler. From there its just a matter of a tunnel for drive shaft, and figureing out if you could fab in a independent rear drive axle, or go with a live beam axle. I have seen someone turn a Pontiac Grand Prix from a FWD setup to a RWD setup with a LS engine, and a Live Beam axle. So I am sure it can be done.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Maybe 10 as it is a complete engine and drivetrain swap.

It has been done once with the SHO engine and apparently someone did it with a 5.0 already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts