Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a '94 comaro with a v6 but he was thinking about dropping a crate8 into it.. that works all fine and dandy for his chev :beat-chevy: but i stopped and thought about it.....

1st. a 5.0 would fit in the engine bay, but not with the larger tranny required to use it.. unless you turned it sideways.... Rear Wheel Drive?

2nd. you'd have to weld on new motor mounts, and probably bolt on a new subframe. you also may have to buy a kit from i forget inc. that allows you to run a driveshaft overtop of existing floor boards but still underneath steel. :crapfan:

3rd. why? vast amounts of new found power. way easier to find mods duh... and, its stinkin cool.. i mean who expects someone to pull up next to them at a stoplight and smoke the rears while eating their mustang, comaro, charger....... corvette? i wanna see someone try it

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
....... Anything can happen with enough money. Pony up :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
more of the story:

for a project like this- buy a car with a blown motor for 500 and have a shop do it unless you have mad time and tools. this project if a shop says itll take 6 months, it will probably take 8. You always run into things with major mods :)

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
sure but i dont really trust a mechanic with my only car for somethin like 4 months.... it would take me 6 [/b]
and :dunno:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my car was free with a blown ax4n i paid 50 to get it towed off the highway for my dads friend... it has 300 in junkyard tranny 60 in title and 130 in unhooked up stereo but it runs quite amazinglike........ what do you think 7k for a 5.0 parts and install?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Much, much more. You need to complete fabricate a rear end, because there was never any engineering thought put until making that platform RWD. The transmission tunnel would have to be completely cut out and rebuilt for the driveshaft, and you'd need a completely refabbed front clip.

You'd be better off trying to retrofit a 4.6L from the Lincoln Continental, which I just so happen to have one for sale. Otherwise, you could contact NESho about a V8 swap.

JR

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much, much more. You need to complete fabricate a rear end, because there was never any engineering thought put until making that platform RWD. The transmission tunnel would have to be completely cut out and rebuilt for the driveshaft, and you'd need a completely refabbed front clip.

You'd be better off trying to retrofit a 4.6L from the Lincoln Continental, which I just so happen to have one for sale. Otherwise, you could contact NESho about a V8 swap.

JR
[/b]
right i forgot to put taht on there but its not like their is an awful lot back there on a 98 anyway.. slip in rear leafs a relatively stocky differential, couple axles... may have to move gas tank... hmmmm

Why do so many people misspell Camaro? I see "Camero" all the time, now "comaro".... did I miss a joke or something? :dunno:
[/b]

no joke.. just a chevy

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
right i forgot to put taht on there but its not like their is an awful lot back there on a 98 anyway.. slip in rear leafs a relatively stocky differential, couple axles... may have to move gas tank... hmmmm[/b]
Don't forget cutting your floorpan from front to back and making a new one.

I'm with JR, get a 4.6 (they have a decent aftermarket) and an AX4N out of a Continental.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You'd definitely have to remove the gas tank and install a fuel cell, and like I said, you'd have to fabricate something for the axle to actually attach to. Leaf springs probably wouldn't work, coil springs would be better, with gas shocks, not struts.

Wait, am I really taking time away from my SYS-605 homework to even humor this?

JR

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
Why do so many people misspell Camaro? I see "Camero" all the time, now "comaro".... did I miss a joke or something? :dunno:
[/b]

no joke.. just a chevy
[/b][/quote]

chevy = joke

:ford:

Since I've learned quite a bit about fabrication and hot rodding over the last 4 years, I don't think it would be that difficult to built a RWD Taurus. But I would only attempt it with the expectation of spending a good chunk of change. Use a pre-fab front and rear suspension setup from Fat Man or Jegs... you could adapt it to the front subframe, build a custom K member. Maybe use the IRS from a T-Bird. Personally, if I were going to attempt a RWD Taurus, I'd use '03-'04 Cobra IRS and a Vortech S/C on an aluminum 4.6L instead of the iron block Cobra. It'd be like a 4 door Cobra.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

JR
[/b]
right i forgot to put taht on there but its not like their is an awful lot back there on a 98 anyway.. slip in rear leafs a relatively stocky differential, couple axles... may have to move gas tank... hmmmm

[/b][/quote]

I wonder if you could bolt in the rear end and suspension from an 89-96 Thunderbird/Cougar/MarkVIII...
(The setup is similar to a Taurus Wagon......)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
the ax4n i already have in mine won't work?
[/b]
Definitely not.

The only way to do this swap would be to:

1 - get a custom bellhousing for the AX4N that would bolt up to the new engine, which would be an electrical nightmare, in which case the car stays FWD and is useless

2 - convert the car to RWD using a RWD transmission, which would cost a crapload of money

JR

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
It really wouldn't be that hard at all to set up a taurus rear drive ... I mean it would be hard but not that hard if you don't need the vehicle for a set amount of time.

if it were me, I'd go with a solid axle setup ... but that's just me. I don't know that much about it and I'm no expert but it seems that using coil springs and a solid rear axle would work better ... and use a taurus wagon.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts