Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on the freeway the other day and every time I got up past 50 mph, the steering wheel would start to wobble. not much, but definitely a noticeable amount. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and knows how to fix?

·
Registered
249 Posts
There could be any number of reasons starting with condition of tires/wheel balance to worn steering/suspension parts. More background info regarding prior maintenance in these areas would help narrow down possibilites.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Need info. If the shake follows the rhythm of the tire around, likely tire, rim, and less likely brake rotor. If it is much different when light braking, likely rotor. For most rotor issues, when you come to a stop under moderate braking, you will feel a more deceleration, less deceleration with each tire rotation. Rust causes that often.
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,723 Posts
This past June on the way home from the Carlisle Ford Nationals in my 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe, noticed significant steering wheel shake that cropped up under light to moderate braking out of nowhere. One minute fine, next brake applicaton shaking. Didnt bother to pull over and look for the issue as we were only 100 miles from home (all rural interstate the rest of the way home so almost no brake applications needed anyway).

Investigated the issue when we got home. Found a BIG chunk of thick grimey grease (around 4 inches in diameter and an inch deep) stuck to the inside of the left front rim. ZERO clue where the grease glob came from?? Cleaned the rim off, problem gone.

Back in the mid 70s had a steering wheel shake that got worse over a few days in my 71 Tbird 429 V8. Turned out to be shifted belt in a front tire. New tires fixed the issue.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
This past June on the way home from the Carlisle Ford Nationals in my 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe, noticed significant steering wheel shake that cropped up under light to moderate braking out of nowhere. One minute fine, next brake applicaton shaking. Didnt bother to pull over and look for the issue as we were only 100 miles from home (all rural interstate the rest of the way home so almost no brake applications needed anyway).

Investigated the issue when we got home. Found a BIG chunk of thick grimey grease (around 4 inches in diameter and an inch deep) stuck to the inside of the left front rim. ZERO clue where the grease glob came from?? Cleaned the rim off, problem gone.

Back in the mid 70s had a steering wheel shake that got worse over a few days in my 71 Tbird 429 V8. Turned out to be shifted belt in a front tire. New tires fixed the issue.
I had snow packed inside a wheel and it shook. That was self fixing when the weather warmed up.
-chart-

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
You may have a radial pull in the tire, take it off and inspect it while slowly rolling it. Easy to see a bulge. Could be a worn wheel bearing, lift car and see if the tire has any play.

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
145 Posts
Have the tires rebalanced first, may have thrown a weight on the rim, could have happened by hitting a pothole or even a curb. When you get it done it will tell you if it's the tire or something so simple as a balancing weight, Good Luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was out on the freeway the other day and every time I got up past 50 mph, the steering wheel would start to wobble. not much, but definitely a noticeable amount. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and knows how to fix?
You need to get a front end alignment

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bad alignment will make the car pull left or right, or make the tire wear too much on the inside or outside of the tire, rebalancing them will tell you if they lost a weight or, if they can't balance either one, will tell you that possibly the steel belt in the tire moved, if it's your rotors, the steering wheel will have a left and right vibration only when you're foot is on the brake, unless the rotors are seriously warped, which is really hard to do with vented and thick rotors. The Only other thing it can be is the bearings are going bad but you should hear a rumbling type of noise when you are cruising and it may make a rattling noise when you go over some bumps in the road, it Will get worse over time. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
564 Posts
Bad alignment will make the car pull left or right, or make the tire wear too much on the inside or outside of the tire, rebalancing them will tell you if they lost a weight or, if they can't balance either one, will tell you that possibly the steel belt in the tire moved, if it's your rotors, the steering wheel will have a left and right vibration only when you're foot is on the brake, unless the rotors are seriously warped, which is really hard to do with vented and thick rotors. The Only other thing it can be is the bearings are going bad but you should hear a rumbling type of noise when you are cruising and it may make a rattling noise when you go over some bumps in the road, it Will get worse over time. Good Luck!
One other possibility, worn inner or outer tie rods.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes correct, with a rattle, could be possible ball joints and needs to be fixed ASAP, you may loose steering(with the I/O tie rods) or if the ball joints go the car will be sitting on the ground and undrivable and do a whole lot of different damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Balance all four wheels. Inspect all steering and suspension components for looseness, wear, or broken parts. Inspect the hubs for wheel bearing play.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeap, exactly what I said, also if the shimmering goes away at higher speeds you probably threw a weight on one of the front tires and if it's one of the rear tires it will have a different type of vibration, you'll feel it throughout the whole car, not just the steering wheel. Good Luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts