Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently i've been driving and crusing around 45mph, and noticed that my tach is reading about 3,000 rpm, i noticed that it was unusually high, and i counted the gears as my car shifted, and for some reason it just wont shift into 4th gear, it doesn't even try too. And yes i had it in overdrive. I haven't noticed any unusual sounds or any other problems that may bne related, any advice?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i have a column shifter. its a 99 SE vulcan. If what your saying is the problem, how would i go about fixing it?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I don't know, I was just looking for a simple solution that wouldn't involve a rebuild. If the needle is stuck or not pointing to the right gear, it's no biggy. Just get used to feeling for the gears instead of watching the needle.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I know on the old buicks it was just a spring on one side and cord on the other that was snapped onto the steering colum...alls u had to do was reposition the clip...who knows with the bulls....

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I felt the gears as you suggested, and it assured me that my needle is fine and that i was definately in overdrive, yet it still wont shift into 4th gear. and its not like i can hear gears grinding or anything. my transmission makes no attempt what so ever to shift into forth. and just to verify can somebody who has a 96-99 vulcan look at their tach and tell me what the rpm is when cruisin at 55 just to make sure its not all just in my head.

·
Registered
887 Posts
if you're spinning 3000 rpm at 55, you're in 3rd gear (and doesn't it feel great when you hit the gas right there near peak torque and hp!)....my cousin also lost overdrive in his Gen 3, but I have no idea if he ever got it fixed because he was already selling the car....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My 4th gear recently went out too! Weird. I scanned the codes and ended up with a problem with the shift solenoid. I took it into the trans shop that did the rebuild so they can check it out for me. I know the owner so he's checking it out for free.
I'm betting there's a problem with the solenoid.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 6 used ones from '92 AXOD's that I replaced in my "92 Taurus and '93 Sable this summer. In these cars you don't have to remove the tranny to change these. Just take the tranny mount bar off and pull the chanel pan. I can spare some if the parts cross to yours.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks i appreciate the offer, but i looked for a new one and they cost roughly $35, so i'll just buy a new on. Thanks thought

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can anybody here tell me if a shift solenoid from a 92 AXOD, will swap in a 1999 vulcan SE, not sure what tranny i have?

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I don't know if this applies to your G3, but my G1 had that problem once. There's a circlip that holds the overdrive servo in the valve body, which was prone to failure. When it failed, the OD servo would essentially fall out of place, and you'd lose OD.

It's a 45 minute fix for a competent tranny shop, done through the side pan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts