Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard because of the plastic design they ran cooler, so I wondered if they would pack more charge into the A/F mixture.

???

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
well I have a Gen4 'tec with the plastic manifold and it really doesn't help all that much compaired to a gen 3 with the aluminum runners.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but I also wanna see if the overall design was better, if the flow characteristics are higher, etc.

Can I make a few ponies here, or is it not worth the time?

·
Registered
230 Posts
well, i've heard that the plastic ones explode sometimes (rarely), so theres something else to take into consideration. but aluminum is able to dissapate heat very quickly (probally part of the reason of why they used it) and it would be cheaper and you would probally get more gain out of keeping the current upper and adding a CAI. just my $.02

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by TrueBlue@Dec 22 2003, 03:00 PM
Heard because of the plastic design they ran cooler, so I wondered if they would pack more charge into the A/F mixture.

???
I think the gen 4 plastic one will make a difference because it is restyled unlike the 'tec which is just a plastic copy. But the only way to find out is to try it.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Originally posted by pimpin90GL@Dec 22 2003, 04:13 PM
well, i've heard that the plastic ones explode sometimes (rarely), so theres something else to take into consideration. but aluminum is able to dissapate heat very quickly (probally part of the reason of why they used it) and it would be cheaper and you would probally get more gain out of keeping the current upper and adding a CAI. just my $.02
You are thinking of the plastic Duratec intakes. And the issue with those intake manifolds was the occasional backfiring in cold weather that ignited the plastic manifold and caused it to crack/collapse.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The gains from that intake were supposed to be 10 - 15 hp.

They have swirl in them so they have a similar affect to the tornado intake... except that this concept is viable.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by pimpin90GL@Dec 22 2003, 04:13 PM
but aluminum is able to dissapate heat very quickly (probally part  of the reason of why they used it) and it would be cheaper and you would probally get more gain out of keeping the current upper and adding a CAI. just my $.02
Aluminum also makes a great heatsoak. If it didn't soak up the heat, there would be nothing to dissipate.

That said, the plastic intake should be a good upgrade from the aluminum unit. The insides are swirly, like Mikey said, and they are pretty smooth. Smoother than one could get with polishing an aluminum intake. They also don't act as a heatsoak, which is another plus.

When doing this swap, keep in mind that the G3 and 4 intakes do not have an integral throttle body like the G1 and 2. You'll need the throttle body as well, but the TPS should swap over, or the G4 one may work on the G2. In fact, try to get the whole intake setup, MAF and all, from a junkyard car. The MAFs were plastic too, and the same benefits can be had from swapping that over.

Tom, you are correct. Cooler air is denser air, and denser air contains more oxygen molecules, making for a more efficient burn. I think gains are to be had, and I plan on adding this to the cherry jellybean if I decide to supercharge the 93 instead.

I gotta take this opportunity to add a shameless plug too. When you swap manifolds, or if you decide not to swap, you should try out a super duper AMS phenolic spacer.
I hear they're great, and the guy who makes them is dead sexy.

If you had EEC-V, I'd suggest larger injectors too, like 19lbs or so. The 14's that are in there now are marginal at best. If you wanted to swap, I would guess that you could compensate with a recalibrated MAF, or a chip.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Aluminum also makes a great heatsoak. If it didn't soak up the heat, there would be nothing to dissipate.
Tom, you are correct. Cooler air is denser air, and denser air contains more oxygen molecules, making for a more efficient burn. I think gains are to be had, and I plan on adding this to the cherry jellybean if I decide to supercharge the 93 instead.

[/quote]
Mr. Wizard

·
Registered
89 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Dec 22 2003, 06:40 PM
In fact, try to get the whole intake setup, MAF and all, from a junkyard car.  The MAFs were plastic too, and the same benefits can be had from swapping that over.
Tom, remember that the Gen 2 (EEC-IV) MAFs had a 4-pin connector. IIRC, the Gen 3/4 (EEC-V) MAFs use a somewhat different 5-pin connector on the MAF (I'm not a Gen 4 guy so don't quote me here). Adapting a Gen 4 MAF to an Gen 2 setup is possible, I just didn't want you to forget this little detail.

Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Dec 22 2003, 06:40 PM
I hear they're great, and the guy who makes them is dead sexy. 
It's good to know that sex appeal is a rather relative (and loose) term, especially in certain applications.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Axianator@Dec 23 2003, 12:36 AM
It's good to know that sex appeal is a rather relative (and loose) term, especially in certain applications.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Mikeys_Taurus@Dec 23 2003, 03:39 AM
Bob's not going to like me much...

What are the initials for Advance Motor Sports...
Hey I never thought of that. Two dead sexy guys, same company initials....
Oh well, it's all good.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Mikeys_Taurus@Dec 23 2003, 04:15 PM
Two dead sexy guys???
OK, so one, and an aging married with four kids out of the market old guy (me).

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a 01 taurus ses with the vulcan. Would i be able to put a duratec intake on it, and if i can what could i expect from it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts