Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I swapped in the 4F50N (ax4n) from a 2005 Taurus vulcan into my 1996 Ford Taurus vulcan that used to have the ax4s. I got a new computer out of a 1997 Taurus GL vulcan with the ax4n trans, and the new halfshaft for the ax4n.

I got the whole thing together, everything works EXCEPT the vehicle speed sensor I just noticed is different on the 4F50N. I spliced the wires together and what happens is the gauge reads zero when its stopped, but when the wheels are spinning at about 20 mph or so the gauge is reading 80 mph or so. Touch the gas, and it goes past the 110 mph mark and starts shutting the engine down because of the speed limiter. But the wheels are actually spinning only about 30 mph.

Does anybody have any ideas to get the computer to read this speed sensor right?! Maybe I can wire in some kind of resistor or something at the sensor. Will the trans work ok with the speed sensor just unplugged... I'm not sure what to do on this one. The new trans uses some type of magnetic sensor while the old one was a gear. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The sensor measures speed by sending electrical pulses generated by a wheel with teeth. The number of teeth must be different between trannys. In this case there are more teeth than in the original trans. There may be converters available for calibrating electronic speedometers. Try searching the web.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts