Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this and figured I'd share the info. These guys have a 400 HP Probe (among other things) and the stuff they used to do it is available for Ford 3.0's and 3.8's. This is pretty much for forced induction but if anyone besides Bob and I are interested in doing a turbo car, this info should help.

400 HP Probe

·
Registered
52 Posts
does a product like this quell the older posts concerns about spending "thousands" on the electronic controlls that would be necessary if one could find a way to mount some sort of forced induction? Or do i have the wrong idea?

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
so what exactly is this product? the turbo computer system?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is an engine management system. It can be used to convert a carbureted car to an EFI car, to add or upgrade turbo and supercharger systems, etc. It's programmable. So if you decided to use aftermarket or larger fuel injectors on your engine, you'll be able to make it work. There's more to it than this but that's the general idea. Not a simple bolt on item, but for someone wanting to try something a little more off the wall, just the ticket.

programmable, engine management systems

Which System Do I Need?

Engine Type/ Required Control 4 Cyl. 6 Cyl. 8 Cyl.
Don't need ECU controlled ignition 4D 6D 8D
Need ignition control, engine has distributor 4E/MSD 6E/MSD 8E/MSD
Need distributorless ignition control 4F 6F N/A

Ford Applications

2.0L Zetec, 2.3L turbo 4 cylinder- 4E, 4F
2.5L, 3.0L, 3.8L V6- 6E, 6F
302, 351 V8- 8D, 8E

The 6F system, shown above, controls fuel delivery and ignition timing on even fire, 6 cylinder engines to 9000 rpm.Its crank triggered, direct fire coil pack replaces both distributor type and OEM distributorless ignitions. It is programmable in 250 rpm increments with 64 boost retard locations available for turbocharged engines.

The standard F delivers a powerful, long duration spark and is suitable on engines with specific power outputs of up to 200hp/L. The 6F comes complete with coils and crank trigger. Fabrication of a crank sensor mount and installation of trigger magnets is required.

Base system prices USD: EM-4 6F- $1414

Prices do not include fuel injectors, pumps or optional items.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
This is pretty freaky but I saw that exact same system same brand everything that doc posted laying on a workbench at the shop next to my office last friday. The were getting ready to install it on a miata. The guy does a lot of machine work but his main deal is working on roadtrack cars that run at Hallett. I go over there quite a bit to BS.

The only thing I heard him say was that He was not impressed with the manual pot to lean or richen the engine. If anyone is really interested in this setup I can ask him his opinion of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i drive a 95 gl too americasfuture, are you doing anything to strengthen the engines internals to withstand the boost? how many miles do you have on it? I know its a beefy engine but can it really handle turbo/supercharging without some sort of rebuild?

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
My friend uses the SDS EM-4F in her turbocharged 97 Golf, that puts down 220WHP at 11psi. It's really easy to program with just a wideband, you (or whoever's going to be doing the programming), and a driver. A day of 3rd gear runs, and all the fuel curves, timing curves, and boost programming was done. Again, if you can follow an instruction manual, this thing is really easy to program.

For our cars, we'd need the EM-6F which comes with the module, all the wiring you'd need, coolant and air charge sensors, the 6 cyl DIS module (from GM <_< ), and the programming box. Get the one with the backlight, trust me on this.

If you wish to keep your distributor, and not convert to DIS, then you'd get the EM-6E instead. She (my friend with the Golf) got the EM-4F, and tossed her distributor. Distributors are ugly, anyway.
The only bonus, tho, is that you don't have to fabricate the crank sensor mounting, which is a PITA if you don't follow the instructions C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y!!

Their tech support is uber friendly, however, so if you get stuck along the way, they're really helpful to get you moving again!

Oh, and to clear up any misconception:

This is not something like a TwEECer or a SC Tuner. This system is meant to replace the Ford EEC. That's your engine computer, btw, so for those of us with electronically controlled transmissions (which is all of us, minus MT-5 and SHO folk), would have to figure a way for the transmission control to work in parallel with the SDS.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Oh, and the manual POT is to make mixture changes on the go, ie on the track or whatever, if it's necessary. She's never had to use her's, except for when the temperatures fell through the floor recently.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yup that probe is from a member at probetalk.com his car is running 11sec passes already and putting past 400 hp already. the engine he is using is the mazda FE3T yeah a inline 4 turbo engine, the sds is probably the easiest way way to have total control over the patameters of the engine to get the most power out of it.

now once we get this thing going on a v6 engine will be sooo sweet.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Racer X@Jan 12 2004, 11:50 AM
so for those of us with electronically controlled transmissions (which is all of us, minus MT-5 and SHO folk), would have to figure a way for the transmission control to work in parallel with the SDS.
But, let's say one wanted to swap a 5 speed into say, I dunno, a 93 3.8 he has lying around. This would work OK right? And it solves the problem of having a 5 speed, and having to trick the ATX computer. Or am I not thinking correctly?

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais+Jan 13 2004, 01:02 AM-->QUOTE (Bob Gervais @ Jan 13 2004, 01:02 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Racer X
@Jan 12 2004, 11:50 AM
so for those of us with electronically controlled transmissions (which is all of us, minus MT-5 and SHO folk), would have to figure a way for the transmission control to work in parallel with the SDS.
But, let's say one wanted to swap a 5 speed into say, I dunno, a 93 3.8 he has lying around. This would work OK right? And it solves the problem of having a 5 speed, and having to trick the ATX computer. Or am I not thinking correctly? [/b]
You are wiiise, grasshopper.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back off Bob, I saw it first remember. :punchbob: ...

So let's get this right... this system and a boosted 3.8. hmm...

add a 55/75HP shot O'Squeeze and I think we'll have a fun one play with. and to think if "one" just happened to have a 3.8 laying around in his shop to start assembling...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Doc@Jan 13 2004, 01:13 AM
shot O'Squeeze
I have a shot o'squeeze for you.

Actually this would be pretty cool. Two turbo'd 3.8's running nitrous. It'll be a race to see who can blow the head gasket first.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
with teh 3.8l you sould be able to use the crank sensor mounting brackets from the t-bird sc and the mustangs.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I have the 99, 3.0 vulcan, how much boost can i runn safely without having to upgrade the internals, and if i do what pistons can i swap that will fit into mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts