Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my recently purchased 2004 SES to the shop for an oil change and a look over. With 120,000 miles on it, I couldn't find any records to indicate that it has ever had new plugs. I knew the plugs were a bitch to get to but guess I didn't fully realize how REALLY hard they are to get to.

The mechanic pulled one of the front plugs for a look and it looked fairly worn. I asked him about replacing all off them while I was there. He said no problem but it would take the rest of the day and about $400 bucks!!! :huh: I passed! Thought I should ask you guys what to do? I haven't worked on cars much in years. I don't think I really want to tackle this job myself. What do you all think is a fair price? Any suggestions on some good plugs?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I remember a member here, spridget, posting that with the 2004-5 Duratecs, it's even more difficult to change the spark plugs on cylinders 4-6...the way that Ford designed the engine, the UIM at least shifted back some. I am curious though...if you are to buy your own plugs, and then remove the upper and lower cowling if that would give you enough room with some swivel sockets and extensions to get the old plugs out.

----but back to your question---
He is probably charging you the labor to remove the upper intake manifold (and any other items to move out of the way for UIM removal). Removing the cowling as well.

Still sounds pricey to me...
It sounds like maybe a 2 hour job to me...but book time is probably higher :dunno:
6 plugs (get Motorcraft or AutoLite...Bosch doesn't work with the Duratec) Should be ~$3/plug for Motorcraft.
and maybe some new UIM gaskets?

·
Registered
437 Posts
:) I eventually found a decent Ford Dealership that changed my plugs (duratec) for $160 labor and parts. Some quoted $400 which is total crap!

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
:) I eventually found a decent Ford Dealership that changed my plugs (duratec) for $160 labor and parts. Some quoted $400 which is total crap!
[/b]
According to your profile you have an '01.... so not quite the same.

The '04/05 UIM is larger, sits further back, and removing the cowl will not gain access to the rear plugs. The UIM must be removed. The rear COPs cannot be removed to get the spark plugs out with the UIM installed.

Is it more labor intensive to replace the plugs on the '04/05, but removing the UIM is not a big deal if you are confident with basic auto mechanic work. It certainly does not take all day. It has never taken me more than 1 hour to remove the UIM, remove old plugs, gap new ones, and reinstall everything.

Stay with Motorcraft or Autolite double platinum plugs, whichever is less expensive.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You think $400 was a crap price. Try $500. I took my car in to the dealer because it was misfiring on 3 of the 6 cylinders. Of coarse the car was covered by warranty so I figured pay my $100 and they would fix it. Wrong! Claimed water got in and around the plugs. They were fried. So they changed all 6 of them, I thought it wasn't a difficult thing to do but I guess I was wrong. New plugs and wires from the dealer cost me just over $500. I'm never going to the dealer for anymore repairs.

Good luck with finding a cheap place to get them changed. Unless of coarse you find a good friend on here that can help you out, that might live close to you.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Dealerships around here also want $400 to change the spark plugs.
[/b]
I've seen $900.00 quotes just to change plugs and clean the secondaries for a V8 SHO.

You don't always get what you pay for - sometimes you just get hosed.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
You think $400 was a crap price. Try $500. I took my car in to the dealer because it was misfiring on 3 of the 6 cylinders. Of coarse the car was covered by warranty so I figured pay my $100 and they would fix it. Wrong! Claimed water got in and around the plugs. They were fried. So they changed all 6 of them, I thought it wasn't a difficult thing to do but I guess I was wrong. New plugs and wires from the dealer cost me just over $500. I'm never going to the dealer for anymore repairs.

Good luck with finding a cheap place to get them changed. Unless of coarse you find a good friend on here that can help you out, that might live close to you.
[/b]
Dude the car was under warranty and you paid for that?

·
Registered
402 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Dude the car was under warranty and you paid for that?
[/b][/quote]
Fried plugs aren't covered by a warranty. I didn't assume that was the problem at first though when the engine started idling rough and the check engine light came on. I guess I should have pointed out that they charged me my standard 100 for warranty like they do every time I've taken it in to fix something, then 400 more to change the plug and wires.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I know dealers areound this area are charging $300-$400 just to change plugs and wires on the duratecs. I did mine (on my ' 03) and it was nto that bad of a job. The UIM has O ring gaskets and was so easy to remove and replace. Dealers and shops make there living on people affraid to spend the time and do the job themself. Take your time, use caution and its an easy job.
I had a '91 areostar with the 3.0 in it, the dealer wanted $400 ( back in '95) to do plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I took off half a day of work, bought the parts and hanes manual and had the job done in 2 hours and it didnt cost me $400 to do it myself.
Use quality parts and you wont need to do it again for a while either.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Although I am partially intimidated to do my first spark plug change on my '01 Duratec, I feel I can tackle the job because my '97 Vulcan was a peice of cake. I was in and out within 30 min.
[/b]

The '01 with the plastic UIM is a dream to do. I removed the UIM and everything on it, covered the LIM so nothing fell in, changed the plugs and have everything back togeather in about 90 minutes, not rushing at all. Its a very easy job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts