Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a scrap yard last week getting some parts off a car for mine. In the Taurus section, they had a 1st gen sedan there in pretty decent shape for the area, not great but good for Canada. I decided to open the hood and there I found a 4 cylinder engine, similar to the Tempo engine. It was in really good shape all around and everything was intact. If anyone needs any parts for their 4 banger, I might be able to hook you up if you act fast. I have read about them before but never expected to see one, they must be very rare.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Did Taurii ever come 4 Cylinder OEM?
Yes. It was mostly fleet and rare according to Wikipedia. It's an up sized HSC inline 4, the tempo engine basically. Which if my mind remembers correctly, is somewhat based off the ford ohv inline six. I think its 2.5l.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes, 2.5 liters and only about 90hp. Obviously, they were pretty underpowered so most people opted for the Vulcan. The last year for it was 1992. Interestingly, it only lasted ONE year in the Sable, making those incredibly rare!

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
I had a '87 Taurus L model and loved it. Prefered it over the Vulcans for a long time. It was bare-bones, no frills transportation that I dogged the hell out of and never could break. I miss that car. :)

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a '87 Taurus L model and loved it. Prefered it over the Vulcans for a long time. It was bare-bones, no frills transportation that I dogged the hell out of and never could break. I miss that car. :)
That sounds like the tempo engines I had.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
They were CAFE specials. Got pretty good numbers in the EPA test, but real-world gas mileage was not so good. Small engine/big, relatively heavy car.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
They were CAFE specials. Got pretty good numbers in the EPA test, but real-world gas mileage was not so good. Small engine/big, relatively heavy car.
Same issue with the tempo in my opinion, power to weight ratio made the car slow as hell.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
The 2.5 was a real pig with the 3 speed auto (same as the ATX used in the Tempo if I remember correctly), but the MT-5 version was MUCH peppier, but obviously still not very fast. 33+ mpg real world highway was common with the MT-5. A coworker used to own a MT-5 "back in the day".

·
Registered
424 Posts
Small engine/big, relatively heavy car.
The GM A-bodies of the 80's must have weighed much less than a Taurus. The Iron Duke (also 90hp/2.5L) was used in them quite a while.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wonder how many of these were made?
86-90 had 88-90 hp.
91 had 105.
92 and 93 L had the 3.0 liter, but was still a bare bones model with cranks. Competed vs. Camry and Accord DX 2.2 liter models.

Sable 3-speed auto with 2.5 is VERY rare--some Sables even have manual windows too.

Big cars optioned down are rare--although Toyota/Honda did it up through the '02-03 era Camcords. Even your base Sienna CE 3-doors and Windstar 3.0 minivans had power windows but not much else.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
A friend of mine had an 87 with the 4 banger and a 5 speed. It was definately an interesting car. Didnt have much power at all but it did the job.......... and 3 pedals are always better than 2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts