Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a mach amp and some new speakers and will put them in sometime this week. I read that to install the speakers you have to remove the third brake light. For some reason my taurus has a third brake light in the rear windshield and the spoiler. Would it be possible for me to remove the rear windshield one? How would I do this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Push the light towards the rear of the window (watch out for the defroster grid) and pull up on the back of it.
Carefully lift it up and unplug it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Works perfectly! Thanks. Upon seeing the giant hole left in the carpet stuff, I decided to put it back. I think I'll hit up a junkyard for one without a hole. Or just unplug the light

·
Registered
28 Posts
I purchased a mach amp and some new speakers and will put them in sometime this week. I read that to install the speakers you have to remove the third brake light. For some reason my taurus has a third brake light in the rear windshield and the spoiler. Would it be possible for me to remove the rear windshield one? How would I do this?

Thanks
just curious, why would you have to remove the third light to install the speakers, unless you're installing a 6x9 in the middle? i also have the third light and a light on the spoiler, but with the mach system. just curious though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just curious, why would you have to remove the third light to install the speakers, unless you're installing a 6x9 in the middle? i also have the third light and a light on the spoiler, but with the mach system. just curious though.
I got my info from this thread in the "how to guide" And I thought someone added the spoiler after being purchased, rather than a factory option. All the tauruses with spoilers I've seen don't have the third light in the rear window.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/117...udio-visual/130379-install-rear-speakers.html

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You're right, if it came from the factory with a spoiler it won't have the third brake light in the rear window. If it has both, then it was added after it left the factory.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
There's a Taurus in my area with both 3rd brake lights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question for those that have both third brake lights, how is the light on the spoiler wired in? I looked in the trunk under the deck and didn't see any wiring for the rear deck light, thought I might tie in there. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The wiring for the third brake light in the window is between the metal and the carpet in the cabin. You'll find the wiring if you remove the parcel shelf between the rear window and back seats.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
On two of my '03 Taurus I ran the wire from the spoiler LED light up the wiring harness to the right (facing forward) on the trunk lid to a small hole underneath the brake light in the rear window and tapped into the factory wiring. On a JY 2002 SE I found it was done the same way. Looked like maybe the Ford dealership installed it after someone bought it new. Since mine were built after 12-02 they did not have the liner on the underside. So I got them for next to nothing at the JY to cover up some of the wiring.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Works perfectly! Thanks. Upon seeing the giant hole left in the carpet stuff, I decided to put it back. I think I'll hit up a junkyard for one without a hole. Or just unplug the light
I'd just re-upholster the rear deck. :lol2:

A pet peeve of mine is two third brake lights. If the factory is putting a spoiler with a light on...don't install the one in the window! :brick:

Some car companies do this from the factory. Thankfully Ford doesn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts