Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the high mount/center brake light is not working. Ive seached the forums for info but think i must be using the wrong search terms. From the info i have found i cant even tell whether is will be an led unit or have replaceable bulbs. Im leaning to the latter...and hoping as i think it is easier to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
Wifes 06 (no spoiler) HMSL/CMSL is LED. Since 07's were basically left over 06 models, I assume 07 would also be LED.

·
Administrator
14,945 Posts
Wifes 06 (no spoiler) HMSL/CMSL is LED. Since 07's were basically left over 06 models, I assume 07 would also be LED.
Curious that, might have been the way Ford was emptying the shelves putting together those Fleet only '07's but I replaced the HMSL in my SIL's '07 and it was def a 912. I use them as replacement bulbs in our low voltage yard lighting, pulled one out of the garden shed...plug n play.
OP, that may be why you are finding conflicting info.

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
^^^^ Interesting, Mark. Maybe someone at Ford found a bunch of incandescent bulb HMSLs in a warehouse, and used them toward the very end of the G4.5 Taurus run.

·
Administrator
14,945 Posts
^^^^ Interesting, Mark. Maybe someone at Ford found a bunch of incandescent bulb HMSLs in a warehouse, and used them toward the very end of the G4.5 Taurus run.
That was my thought when I read your post. Of course there's another (albeit less likely) possible explanation, the '07's were fleet only so none of their current drivers were the original owners. It could be that for some reason a previous owner replaced the HMSL LED with an incandescent one from a parts yard. Although given the conflicting info the OP mentioned finding it's more likely Ford was the culprit.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
When Ford does fleet builds they use any part that fits that's in the warehouse or plant. Years ago (90's) I went thru that trying to find a gas cap for a Econoline which was a Co. owned fleet built van. Turns out the gas tank was from a model from 4 yrs earlier and it was the OEM tank in the van.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
When Ford does fleet builds they use any part that fits that's in the warehouse or plant. Years ago (90's) I went thru that trying to find a gas cap for a Econoline which was a Co. owned fleet built van. Turns out the gas tank was from a model from 4 yrs earlier and it was the OEM tank in the van.

Makers do things. I bought NEW Lin Cont after they quit taking orders. Factory made up some with unusual options, all free. Factory auctioned these orphans to dealers. They were relative cheap with lots of options. It was in for warranty repairs 19 times. I think they made these up with rejected parts. My op only. Steering column failed twice, key tumbler failed twice, push buttons in the door, memory seat, and that just from my memory. And the big one power steering rack and pinion, and pump leaking. All during warranty period. My selling dealer told me they were not going to work on this car any more. I had to take it to a different dealer to warranty.
List attached.

Never know what they do. Most service dept. do not have a clue.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So I had the time to check out the high mount brakelight on my 2007 taurus sedan. Being unsure at first, i opened the trunk and pulled a retainer that holds a stiff cloth panel in place hoping i could reach in and pull out a pigtail or 2 so light bulbs/wiring could be checked. No wiring felt or seen. no sizable access holes either. It is LED i'm sure(had someone step on the brake while i was right behind the car) and a few are out, the others are dim (no wonder i couldnt see it light when my kid was leaving the driveway). So now, from what i gather the access must be from inside the passenger compartment? Anyone know what i need to do to get to that to replace/repair it? I tried dragging a dropping a picture but cant seem to get it to upload. All a get to see when i do that is the picture and nothing else..and when i click the back button i see my post but no pic. I was finally able to get the pic to post,but it is in it own(next) reply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts