Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 36r3 everstart battery from walmart. 1 month later, my car didn't start after 3 days of rest. Alternator and starterare both fine. Jumpstarted the car ok, and 2 weeks later, same deal. I just replaced the battery with a 58r3 which has fewer CA and CCA. Anybody else have trouble so soon with this brand?

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Everstart is a bottom bargain brand. Like with anything electronics there's always the possibility of failure.

That being said, did you see what the voltage was on the battery when it was not starting? Have you done a draw test to make sure you don't have a parasitic draw on the battery? What was the original reason for replacing the battery from the start? There's a lot of missing info here. Additionally, please update your profile to show what car and engine you have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was at 2 volts when dead. I didn't consider a parasitic draw but that would make sense. I changed thr 3 year old battery because the car wouldn't start. I have a 2000 taurus ohv.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just replaced a Motorcraft battery on my 17 Taurus. I hope it lasts longer than the last one I purchased. Even brand name batteries are a crap shoot.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
It was at 2 volts when dead. I didn't consider a parasitic draw but that would make sense. I changed thr 3 year old battery because the car wouldn't start. I have a 2000 taurus ohv.
Bats loose their capacity to survive drain as in driving when the Alt quits. Been there, made ~45 mins to the first exit with a motel. Call AAA and $530 later back on the road day later and +$100 in motel.

See pic, my test of drain power using a resistor to drain the top charge off vs time. I charge the bat with my auto charger then start the drain and write down the volts by the stop watch. In this case, Lin Cont bat which is larger, same bat new, and at two more times to when I would replace based on time alone. Results about the same for Bull batteries. New bat give very similar results. I have not had a warranty on battery claim in ~40 years.
Extreme temperatures, overcharging, undercharging, and vibration are a killer.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I bought a 36r3 everstart battery from walmart. 1 month later, my car didn't start after 3 days of rest. Alternator and starterare both fine. Jumpstarted the car ok, and 2 weeks later, same deal. I just replaced the battery with a 58r3 which has fewer CA and CCA. Anybody else have trouble so soon with this brand?

well at one month you still have warranty: whu did you not use it at Walmart?

sounds like failing alternator or parasitic drain

b

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I agree, one month is a free battery replacement. Next you need to find the source of your problem. If you've had the alternator tested, the next is to measure your drain on the battery when its off. You will need to have a voltmeter that can also measure Amps. Disconnect one of. The battery terminals (typically positive) and connect your leads to the cable to the car and to the battery.
Make sure your doors are closed. Sometimes you need to arm the PATs, then wait for about 3-10 min. The system should go to sleep. You want less than 0.5A draw. If its more you will need to track down the failing part. On Gen3's it was typically the radio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts