Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on Speed the other night and looked it up... Nice fast car based on what appears to be the Ford Duratec! Now why can't we just get a turbo for the Taurus? I know... I know... space, price, reprogramming, etc.

M12 GTO3

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Thats a pretty badass car...I would really like that engine setup in a Taurus or Sable.

Here is a picture of the engine. Looks similar, but I'm sure with reworked heads and a custom intake manifold.

JR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
If anyone has 50 megs or so of webspace and theyre willing to host, I have a review of this thing by some British guy from Top Gear :p

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
to me that looks like a 2.5L duratec upper intake. like from the contours

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yup, looks like a Contour SVT intake to me. It's probably a 3.0 block with SVT heads/intake.

I have stood and stared at my engine compartment looking for space for a turbo and there should be plenty of space for a turbo if the battery gets relocated. It wouldn't be that hard to build custom y-pipes for the exhaust either. It would take some good heat sheild work though. I'm sure there are some programmers here that wouldn't have any huge issues with computer control. If that was doable, then a few other changes would get the fuel system up to par.

Keep in mind, this is just a very high-level view of it from what I have thought of. I haven't really looked into it much deeper than that. Shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 grand to get everything right. When I win the lotto, I'll give it a try. :p

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The limited reading I did on turbo's indicated that for low-boost conditions that the existing programming should be able to handle the change as long as the existing fuel system could deliver the fuel needed to match the boost.

Perhaps the Taurus fuel system just cannot do that without some modification (programming, fuel pump, etc). Is that what you are saying?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Even with 5 p.s.i. (the max I would put on a stock Duratec) I wouldn't stick with the stock injectors. I don't know what size they are, but they are most likely already close to 70%. It would probably need a new FPR and a better fuel pump. There are some other computer adjustments that would need to be made to account for the excess air flow, timing (just switching to 97 octane wouldn't cut it), and I am sure a lot of other things. I'm sure with a 96-99 Duratec opening the secondaries at a different time would change how the car runs.

It's not a good idea to mess around when adding things as major as a turbo/blower. It's better to over-engineer it the first time than under-engineer and risk blowing a motor. Before I realized I was going to keep my bull, I was looking into getting a Saturn and boosting it and they are the same way. In my eyes, they aren't even as easy as a Taurus possibly might be (as far as fuel and engine management), just a little cheaper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts