Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my car sits now in the parking lot here at work, 29,8xx on the odometer... it's tranny time, and I am nervous about it, dunno why, but I am. So far it has been flawless. I pulled the dipstick last week to look at it (cold), and the fluid was a nice bright pink, if I didn't know better I would think it had just been changed, so that has me feeling even better about the tranny. But I know it needs to be done... Wednesday morning it goes in for another oil change, rotate and balance and all the other goodies, along with the tranny getting flushed... I'm sure it will be fine, but it still makes me nervous to do it... :huh:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Tranny flushes on new(er) cars are fine, Jeremy. Why they're bad on older cars is the rotted out seals that get torn or pushed out under the pressure of the flush. You'll be okay.

If not, I got dibs on it. :evil_grin:

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know Tom, but I thought I remembered a couple guys saying it acted different afterwards (Dan), idk... I am sure it'll be fine :)

When one day I am ready to get a new car, I will post it here for sale first, I really wonder how many would be interested :lol2:

Sunil: I'll let you know if I need one :p

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WEll, got it done this morning, tranny seems a tad firmer actually. I asked the tech how it looked and he said kidna nasty, blackish (which confused me), said he has seen worse, but was a tad on the bad side for 29k :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
I read somehwere that a method of keeping clean AT fluid is to just drop the pan and change the screen every year. The cost of this is about $50 if you have someone else do it. Maybe it's a little more with Mercon V being more expensive than other AT fluids. Now I know you're only replacing about half of the fluid but by doing this "half exchange" each year you keep the overall system very clean. Also the cost is no higher than doing a flush every 2 years.

Who did your flush and what they charge?

When I got my '00 Sable last Fall, the first thing I did was take it to the dealer for an AT flush. They charged $147. I've seen other places advertise a flush for under $80 but I assume it'd be more with Mercon V.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked what they recommended, they did a flush, I assume the filter and gasket remianed (?) They said at 60k to do that...

The dealer charged $149.95 for it.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Dropping the pan and changing the filter is only getting about 5 quarts of the total 14 out of the tranny. The filter is a felt filter and not a screen.

Your tranny cost over $2000 to replace if done right. It cost me about $120 to do it myself using Amsoil synthetic ATX, a new filter and changing out all the fluid TC included.. Money well spent IMHO.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A flush flushes it all out, which is what I had done.

I agree on the tranny... but for the first 5/75, it's Ford's dime if something goes :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts