Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this sound about right for combined city and highway mileage for a 97 Ford Taurus Vulcan GL? I've got 300 miles on 2 consecutive tanks, so I assume this will be the trend if the car is running properly and I continue to drive fairly conservatively. How many MPG do you guys get on your bulls?

·
Registered
512 Posts
for the past month that i have been back and after the car has been sitting since feb i've been getting about 22 mpg combined city/highway

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
300 miles to a tank might be about right depending on how many gallons there are in whatever you're considering a "tank"...

·
Registered
223 Posts
300 is what I've averaged in the past year.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Make sure when you are watching how many miles you are going, that you also watch how much gas you put back into the car. Then do the math (Miles / Gallons = MPG).

A "Tank" is too general and could be anything. Some people fill up only when the light comes on, while others consider a tank to be about 1 Quarter left. When you fill up makes a big difference.

Depending on the condition of your engine and other things it could be normal to get anywhere between 22-26 MPG. Though you may be showing signs of engine wear or some other undiscovered issue if you are getting 22 and below.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depending on the condition of your engine and other things it could be normal to get anywhere between 22-26 MPG. Though you may be showing signs of engine wear or some other undiscovered issue if you are getting 22 and below.
[/b]
That's basically why I asked if this was the norm. I am trying to figure out if there is something else that I should be looking at. Usually when I gas up I put 14 - 15 gallons back in the car.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Letting the car warm up when it's cold? When was your last tuneup? I can drive over 400 miles on a tank on a long trip-getting 29.4 mpg, but if I turn the a/c on, or in west Texas going 85 mph or faster it's all downhill from there. Do they put that ethanol crap in their fuel there? That crap can make u lose fuel milage, and for those of u with flex fuel, don't use e85, that crap is a horrable fuel which will wear out your plugs and engine out faster. Ford even says if u use e85 to change oil more often and replace plugs sooner.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Letting the car warm up when it's cold? When was your last tuneup? I can drive over 400 miles on a tank on a long trip-getting 29.4 mpg, but if I turn the a/c on, or in west Texas going 85 mph or faster it's all downhill from there. Do they put that ethanol crap in their fuel there? That crap can make u lose fuel milage, and for those of u with flex fuel, don't use e85, that crap is a horrable fuel which will wear out your plugs and engine out faster. Ford even says if u use e85 to change oil more often and replace plugs sooner.
[/b]
Errode your plugs? wear out your engine?

Dude that is total bull! Seriously.

I run E-10 On my bull and I have no problems. I average actually 34% OVER with my Average fuel economy.

I know it may actually lower your economy. In fact, the more eth you run the more mileage you loose. But as for wearing parts out? Thats a total fabrication made up by people to freak you out about alternative fuels.

I haven't been keeping it up to date but I average about 345 miles to a tank (putting about 13 gal in a 16 gal tank.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh boy, didn't I just open a can of worms? I just tuned the car up. I changed the spark plug wires and spark plugs, changed the oil and a number of sensors. I just changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel tank. The car wasn't running when I bought it, and I really don't know the history of it other than the fact that it is from the north and has a good bit of rust.

I am interested in seeing what I can do to increase my gas mileage.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've been keeping track of my MPG since Sept. I'm averaging 18.54 MPG. I recently made a long highway trip that used up a 1/2 a tank of gas....I calculated that highway trip to be 25 MPG. I think I'm getting 18 MPG/city and 25 MPG/highway as a norm. I just turned over to 40,000 miles and did all the 30k mile service work at 30k miles...and I also changed the plugs at that time.

:fro:

·
Registered
100 Posts
The tank only holds 16-18 gallons or so. Letting it runs that low will shorten the life of your fuel pump. The gas keeps it cool, and extends the life. I usually fill up at around half on the gauge, or about 200 miles when it is warmer out. The old pump was still going fine when I changed my gas tank out. I put in a new pump just because I didn't feel like taking things apart again.

When it is warmer, I get 24-28 mpg, 95% highway. With the cold and idling, down to 18-22. Need to have heat before driving when below zero out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
300 is what I get in my '99 Sable with Kung-Fu Grip Vulcan as well. I usually fill up at 300 and it takes abou 14-15 gallons. Apparently it has a 18 gallon tank but I've never run it to absolute empty before.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I've been getting 24 mpg :(.

With this damn cold, It's been idling 10 minutes before work, and the torque converter won't lock up so there goes my gas

·
Registered
75 Posts
My wife averages 300 miles per 5 day work week in her '00 Vulcan. Her driving is ~70% small city and 30% rural. She averages ~18mpg. Over Christmas we did an 1800 mile RT (90% interstate) and averaged 26mpg.

On the highway we ran a fairly constant 80mph (except for the 4 hour delay on the I-75 parking lot). On a trip last spring running at 65mph we got over 30mpg. There's a lesson there, but I tend to ignore it.

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
The Taurus has a relatively small gas tank compared to other cars in its class. My trip computer says my 05 SEL Tec is getting about 24 mpg in mixed city / highway, but I never let the tank drop below 1/4, which means I fill up about every 300 miles or so. A bit annoying..... when I go to visit my daughter at college (420 mile round trip) if I take the SEL I have to gas up somewhare along the way. If I take the Grand Prix GT or one of the Tbirds (22 gallon tanks!) I can easily make the trip on one tank.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
376 miles, 14.1 gallons. About 26.6 MPG in my Fusion.

I averaged about 25 MPG in my 2000 and 2004 Taurus LXs. Both Vulcans/FFV.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i here all u guys talking about 20+ mpg im getting 17 mpg ijust found the hypermiling site ive been doing som of the things listed but what are the most common ways to get more mpg out my my lil bull

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
A lot of it is common sense. Don't use A/C or defroster when you can. Don't idle too long. EFI cars don't need to be warmed up for more than 30 seconds. Keep tire pressure at 35 PSI. Remove all junk and useless weight from the car. Watch traffic and traffic lights and try to coast to stops and take off easy. You know, simple things like that goes a long way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.