Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm out in the wonderful 70+ weather, spending it under a car of course, working on my exhaust a bit. and I noticed something from that low to the ground perspective about my 96 GL Vulcan, its missing a kitty! I never knew that, I thought all gen IIIs had 3 catalytic converters, do the SLOs only have 2??? wow, now I don't have to worry so much about failing in spection with a G3 taurus with only 2 cats...they might not notice the difference.

N

·
0 Posts
I know the 98 SE I had with a duratec had 3 cats. About yours
:dissappear:

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
(gen 3) shs have 3 cats- one on each bank and another after the y pipe. All vulcans and duratecs have only 2- one on each bank.

As for the comment about someone having a duratec with three cats.....unless someone added it, you dont have a third one....you may be mistaking it for the resinator.

Brad

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Spyguy is correct. There was no gen 3 non-SHO that came with 3 catalytics from the factory. Who knows what coulda been done to the car though.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good, then I don't have to worry about it too much at inspection time...any day now! (man I hate inspections!) because they probably won't know the difference!

·
Registered
486 Posts
i had a 99 vulcan and it sure as heck had 3 cats on it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
they might be seeing the post-cat there are 2 cats that a monitored by o2 sensors he might be seeing the post cat that has no 02 sensors

B

·
0 Posts
Maybe this started with the later model Gen 3's, but I've never seen a third cat on a non SHO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts