Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 2 years ago, my heater core goes out. No big deal. To my knowlege, it's the first time in 11 years that it happens. Costs me about $500 or so to get it replaced and comes with a one year warranty. One year and one month later, it goes out again. Since it was so close, the shop honors the warranty anyway. And now, a year later. The past 2 weeks I start to see a few sympoms of the heater core going out again. Slight coolant smell, very small wet spot on windows, etc. I was hoping it was just the crazy weather. Well today, it goes all out. I can't turn on the heat w/o completely fogging the windows. Very strong smell of antifreeze. I call the shop. It's going in tomorrow. They're going to check it out to make sure it is in fact the heater core (yeah, what else could it be). My dad mentioned to them that he doesn't think he should have to pay for it this time since this is an annual event. They really didn't say much in reply. Let's hope that they do....

Now my question. What is causing this? Am I just *that* unlucky? Or is my cooling system really messed up?

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
did they back flsuh the system?...did they flush the cooling system at all?...cause if they didn't the contimentiants could still be in the coolnat and causing the heater core to clog up and then over flow....have them back flush the system first to try and see if that works if not then replace the core....but seems like something's in the system causing the core to become blocked...just my 2 cents

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent links. Thanks Sunil. I'm going to print off that pdf and bring it to the shop with the car. I'm sure that's what the problem is. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
but again adam if they flushed the first right it should have that problem so i'd ask them if they did that and if they didn't i'd ask them why they didn't and then rant and rave cause that's what they do at my work with any type of coolant work we do

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
In my case (96 GL), when I first switch of the defogger, the windshield fogs up pretty badly for like 4-5 seconds. ....? This is when I first turn on the heat to the defogger position... after the car has been sitting for a while in cold weather...

Been so for like more than 8 months. I dont loose any coolant. I have also flushed coolant. The heater/ac works just fine....

What could be the problem? Is my heater core going south?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by sundarpn@Feb 26 2004, 08:09 PM
In my case (96 GL), when I first switch of the defogger, the windshield fogs up pretty badly for like 4-5 seconds. ....? This is when I first turn on the heat to the defogger position... after the car has been sitting for a while in cold weather...
Mine does the same. I think its just the condensation that builds up on the metal heater core comming out, so I'm sure its normal.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
could it be because of a blocked drain? I dont know where the drain is?

Or could it be because the cabin filter is bad.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I remember a post from an old taurus board that talked about certain brands of heater cores being junk and not lasting. I think in that board the guy was saying that after many bad experiences he started using a certain one from NAPA

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Feb 27 2004, 12:09 AM

Been so for like more than 8 months. I dont loose any coolant. I have also flushed coolant. The heater/ac works just fine....

What could be the problem? Is my heater core going south?
Mine does it too.

Unfortunately, what you are experiencing is rather normal for a Gen III. I've read several posts complaining about the same thing, here and at a few other websites, but because there is nothing mechanically wrong with the car, there is no fix for it...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the shop checked it out. Checked for electrolysis (sp), and problems with the cooling system, bad hoses, etc. Everything looked fine. They're going to replace it for free. And this time, try a different brand. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts