Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here's the DL I've replaced the plugs, wires, cap & rotor which cleared up a horrible miss, but still no power, I checked the air filter and checked for kinks in the exaust, both OK. It feels like its being restricted, there was no sign of head gasket problems, I retrieved the codes from the computer but dont have the ones I got in front of me, one was to do with the EGR (326?) and a lean condition on the front o2 sensor (172?) one or two others but none I felt would cause a drivability issue, so before I get deeper into this I thought I would ask around here first if any one has any suggestions or ideas. Even at WOT it just acts like its out of breath, I checked the codes because the check engine light came on briefly duing one of my test drives (BTW its my father in laws car) I just would like maybe a starting point if anyone has an idea.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Have you changed that fuel filter? Its about a $10 part and pretty easy to get to.

Might be worth your time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I can't run cause he does my tax return, and being my first year in business for myself.....I need all the help I can get

Its not electrical the alternator has been recently replaced and I checked for increase in voltage after the car is running etc.

now the fuel filter thats a possibility, I'll have to ask if he's had it replaced recently or not, it would be worth the $10 if thats it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK tried the filter, helped but didn't fix it, paid close attetion this time when driving and seem to have power up until it hits about 3k RPM then feels like its towing a semi, I pulled the codes (KOEO & KOER) and this is what I got:
172 - HEGO indicates always lean (so I think I need to get the HEGO sensor but im not sure if it would be the cause of the prolem 'cause there's more..)
332 - insufficent EGR flow detected

336 - PFE sensor voltage higher than expected

337 - EVP or DPFE circut above maximum voltage

these three tell me EGR or the EVP/PFE sensor have a problem but can they be caused by the 172 code? Would they be a cause of my problem?

the last few don't mean much to me because I think they are caused by the other DTC's and oddly some did not come in numerical order (they are supposed too)

412 - cannot control RPM during KOER high RPM check

536 - brake on/off circut failure/not activated during KOER test

538 - insufficent RPM change during KOER dynamic response test

521 - ???? (I triple checked this one to make sure I counted right)

so I'm gonna give the car back to my father in law and when some one hopefully comes up with a solution, or even an idea then I'll go fix it but for now I've had the car way too long and wasted waaay too much time trying to figure it out, so anyone had this happen before at first I was thinking it had a trasmission problem
but its not like its in neutral when it hits 3K just like there is a big load on it, he thought it was a head gasket but after looking on the forum it was obvius it wasn't ( I did a compression check when I had all the plugs out ) well, let me know almighty knowledgable forum members

Mike

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Originally posted by reymikonda@Feb 18 2004, 03:15 PM
OK tried the filter, helped but didn't fix it, paid close attetion this time when driving and seem to have power up until it hits about 3k RPM then feels like its towing a semi, I pulled the codes (KOEO & KOER) and this is what I got:
172 - HEGO indicates always lean (so I think I need to get the HEGO sensor but im not sure if it would be the cause of the prolem 'cause there's more..)
332 - insufficent EGR flow detected

336 - PFE sensor voltage higher than expected

337 - EVP or DPFE circut above maximum voltage

these three tell me EGR or the EVP/PFE sensor have a problem but can they be caused by the 172 code? Would they be a cause of my problem?

the last few don't mean much to me because I think they are caused by the other DTC's and oddly some did not come in numerical order (they are supposed too)

412 - cannot control RPM during KOER high RPM check

536 - brake on/off circut failure/not activated during KOER test

538 - insufficent RPM change during KOER dynamic response test

521 - ???? (I triple checked this one to make sure I counted right)

so I'm gonna give the car back to my father in law and when some one hopefully comes up with a solution, or even an idea then I'll go fix it but for now I've had the car way too long and wasted waaay too much time trying to figure it out, so anyone had this happen before at first I was thinking it had a trasmission problem
but its not like its in neutral when it hits 3K just like there is a big load on it, he thought it was a head gasket but after looking on the forum it was obvius it wasn't ( I did a compression check when I had all the plugs out ) well, let me know almighty knowledgable forum members

Mike
(172) If the system thinks its always lean it will most likely try dumping a ton of fuel in to try and correct it.... if that reading is false, all that extra fuel will kill power. Has your gas mileage suddenly nose dived? or do you see black smoke out the exhaust?

(322,336,337) I wonder if the wiring/plug got damaged or disconnected in that egr area, that or one of the tiny brittle red and green vacuum lines may have been cracked. With that said though, I completely disabled the EGR on mine and it didnt hurt power in the least.

412 that kinda points to a problem with the IAC, that or a big vacuum leak, its supposed to be able to set the rpm it wants to run the self tests (i believe 1500 for everything but cylinder balance and 2000 for that) The only way it can control the idle speed is through that IAC.

536, you're supposed to tap the brake during the self test, you can ignore it (unless you actually did tap it)

538 I remember having to quickly rev during the test, if you didnt this code makes sense.

521 deals with the power steering pump . You're supposed to turn the wheel a little left and right, to have the ps load the engine a little, if you didnt, thats why you got this code.

You cant just sit back and watch :), you have to do your part in the test too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I did tap the accelerator and the brake, but maybe too late/early in the test because I didn't know when to do so. so do you think its safe to say that its a problem with the O2 sensor? is there a way to test it?

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts