Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am not that knownlagable about cams and the lift durations and stuff what i would like to know is what cam would be best for a 3.8 police engine i dont want anythying real aggresive but i want some power plan to P&P before i swap the engine and i want the power range from 1500 to 5000 RPM anyhelp with this would be great

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Depends on how well your heads flow after the p&p.. If you overcam the engine you will lose power..

Do you want to invest in valve springs? if not that limits your cam selection too.

What will your compression ratio be? (are the heads and/or block being milled?)

Best to port the heads first, see what they flow on a flowbench, and then pick a cam.

If you are using the police heads, they use a larger exhaust valve, so I would suggest not using a split lift cam.. For example, .502" intake and .518" exhaust.. Cams like that are used to help even out the intake/exhaust ratio on regular 3.8L heads with the smaller exhaust valve.

You want a 108-110 LSA for naturally aspirated 3.8's..

.480 lift is a nice compromise without having to spend $$ on aftermarket valve springs..

durations vary depending on head flow.. around 210 intake 220 exhaust or so should work..

Jeramie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts