Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of who have own a first or second gen Taurus. I wanted to know of your experiences with the 3.8 liter Essex V6. I've heard of the infamous head gasket failures this engine was known to have. Have any of you out there ever encountered this issue or have you done things to stop this from happening? I'm asking because I'm looking at restoring a first gen Taurus wagon. My first choice I want is an 86 LX wagon, but just in case I can't find the one I want my second and third choice for a first gen to be either a 90 or 91 GL or LX wagon. I know that 3.8 liter engine became available later in these years and eventually that engine was the only available engine on an LX wagon for 91. Please tell me your experiences with this engine.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
For those of who have own a first or second gen Taurus. I wanted to know of your experiences with the 3.8 liter Essex V6. I've heard of the infamous head gasket failures this engine was known to have. Have any of you out there ever encountered this issue or have you done things to stop this from happening? I'm asking because I'm looking at restoring a first gen Taurus wagon. My first choice I want is an 86 LX wagon, but just in case I can't find the one I want my second and third choice for a first gen to be either a 90 or 91 GL or LX wagon. I know that 3.8 liter engine became available later in these years and eventually that engine was the only available engine on an LX wagon for 91. Please tell me your experiences with this engine.

I had Essex in '91 & '93 Lin Cont. Ok except last one had the engine replaced under warranty due to cold start knock. '92 and '95 Sables, sedan and wagon. Wagon lost the head gasket and replaced under warranty by Ford. My mother had '92 Sable and had gasket fail before 50K. Engine is massive torque that runs out very early. Lin version slightly better but marginal. Very quiet and comfortable. On interstate ramps, have to go flat out all the way just to get merge speed.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
Never owned a 3.8, and never will.

·
Registered
233 Posts
OK. They are prone to head gasket leaks, especially coolant to cylinder. You will notice broken or chipped insulators on the spark plugs (keep them cleaned and gapped) if coolant is leaking into the cylinder. If it is, take it down right away as the coolant will eventually cause the piston to seize after the engine is shut down and next time the starter is engaged it will break the rod for that cyl.

Also, I believe that engine has separate EGR ports for each cylinder in the intake manifold. The problem is that if they become carboned up, the engine will knock. You won't get a code for it but my theory is that the knocking causes the head gasket to fail leading to the above problem.

With this engine, start taking it down and looking for problems at the very first sign of trouble. If it starts knocking you can clean out the EGR ports with compressed air and don't even think about all that crap in bottles at the car parts store.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I had a 1998 Windstar with the Essex engine. Shortly after 100,000 miles, the engine developed an occasional misfire that would trigger the check engine light, but strangely the miss was never felt. This eventually got worse to the point where the check engine light would flash more often as well as a noticeable coolant leak coming somewhere from the front of the engine. (cylinder 4, I think). My dad poured some head gasket sealer in the coolant and eventually the miss, leak and CEL codes went away, however the engine became under powered at some point as 1 or more cylinders were likely losing compression, and the max speed going up a hill on the freeway was ~45 MPH. Then shortly after 150,000 miles, the engine developed a constant miss in cylinder 3. This was unrelated to the head gasket and was likely a fuel delivery issue (failed injector?) as the catalytic converters never heated up. My dad didn't want to mess around with it so eventually it was sent off to the junkyard.

My uncle had a 1990 Mercury Sable with the Essex, which was handed down to my Grandma. Creeping up on 100,000 miles, my uncle noticed a puddle of coolant under the car one day and looked into the issue. When he confirmed that the head gasket was failing, he too did not want to mess around with it and advised my Grandma to look for a new car. She brought a brand new 2005 Taurus, which was then handed down to me in 2012.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I had decent luck with my 91 3.8. She needed one head gasket job and made it to around 200k. Second transmission is what was the end of the car. The motor was still damn good running at the time and started instantly.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,056 Posts
Buy one with a bad head gasket, swap in a 3.0L SHO engine and manual transmission, problem solved. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Being a new 3.8 owner myself i actually enjoy this engine a lot better than the Vulcan. But my question why not replace the head gaskets with MLS ones like I am getting ready to do. Except for one thing. Which ones should be used the ones for the Mustang or the ones for the Windstar?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I heard somewhere from some guy on YouTube who was talking about his experiences with Taurus cars and he said that 1994 and 1995 are better years for a Taurus with the 3.8. He said those years had lower head gasket failures because they got most of the bugs out or something like that.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had a 89 High Optioned Taurus 3.8 Essex. The thermostat was a pain in the ass. Friend wrecked it, wrapped the front end around a tree. Replaced the core supports, and everything else. Drove out really nice, and good on power and the same as a Vulcan on fuel mileage. I would consider getting one again, but the newest years only due to revamp of gasket design.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I heard somewhere from some guy on YouTube who was talking about his experiences with Taurus cars and he said that 1994 and 1995 are better years for a Taurus with the 3.8. He said those years had lower head gasket failures because they got most of the bugs out or something like that.

My '95 blew the head gasket at ~70K. Replaced under Ford letter of fixin before 75K.
-chart-

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess that settles it. Only Vulcan for me. If I did get a 3.8 liter I would find Mustang 3.8 head gaskets and put it on there. But it looks I will go Vulcan only. I guess the year for the Taurus LX Wagon I'll go for restoring will be 1986 since there was no 3.8 engine for that year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
just bought '93 Creampuff w/3.8 and 84K grandma miles.

I'm getting 20mpg with lots of bumper to bumper on HILLS.:)

Anything I should do to forestall Head Gasket failure? Change coolant often? Run that super Zombie Radiator Juice? Don't run the juice? More water/less coolant? Pray? Pro-active use of Mechanic in a Bottle gasket sealer? (had great luck with other cars)

When 3.8 blows a gasket is it amiable to use of Mechanic in a Bottle gasket sealer?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm getting 20mpg with lots of bumper to bumper on HILLS.:)

Anything I should do to forestall Head Gasket failure? Change coolant often? Run that super Zombie Radiator Juice? Don't run the juice? More water/less coolant? Pray? Pro-active use of Mechanic in a Bottle gasket sealer? (had great luck with other cars)

When 3.8 blows a gasket is it amiable to use of Mechanic in a Bottle gasket sealer?
I remember someone said to put the head gaskets from a later 3.8 car like a mustang to deal with those issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 3.8 had noticeably more torque than the Vulcan, and I got consistent 27-30mpg on the highway with it in my '92 Taurus. But it's notorious for a reason -- mine blew at 60K miles, exiting I-75 in Atlanta GA.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 3.8 had noticeably more torque than the Vulcan, and I got consistent 27-30mpg on the highway with it in my '92 Taurus. But it's notorious for a reason -- mine blew at 60K miles, exiting I-75 in Atlanta GA.
I really like the torque but it probably isn't worth the trouble. I asked and started this thread just in case I got and restored a G1 Taurus with this engine. Since I'm going for a 1986 LX Wagon that engine isn't an option that year so I'd be good.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
3.8 expert here, no 3.8 is immune from head gasket failure. Ford used cheap paper gaskets on all years taurus 88 to 95 with the 3.8. All taurus/sable 3.8 with the factory gasket will fail sooner or later. Is better just to replace it before it does, but just that job alone with cost more then the car is worth. Also you get any coolant into the oil, even after how ever many oil changes usually results in blown rod bearing. Happened to me, had to do a total rebuild. Have to use the superceded fel pro gasket and no more problems.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
3.8 expert here, no 3.8 is immune from head gasket failure. Ford used cheap paper gaskets on all years taurus 88 to 95 with the 3.8. All taurus/sable 3.8 with the factory gasket will fail sooner or later. Is better just to replace it before it does, but just that job alone with cost more then the car is worth. Also you get any coolant into the oil, even after how ever many oil changes usually results in blown rod bearing. Happened to me, had to do a total rebuild. Have to use the superceded fel pro gasket and no more problems.
My Aunt and later given to my cousin owned a 1991 Taurus GL wagon with that engine and it had a lot of problems with the 3.8 Essex. I'm kind of angry Ford made the 3.8 the only available engine in the LX Wagon after 1990.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts