Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the essex 3.8 is pumpin 142 in a book at autozone, on here it says 140, but on a site i was just lookin at...umm roadandtravel.com it said that in the base mustange trim it pump 190...how so.. i thought they're the same engine, i've seen one and know they look identical, is it gettin more power from being sideways compaired to mine or is it the RWD aspect?? i'm confused....

and that supersix mototsports or whoever hast that kit claims they can get 325hp out of the 3.8's, maybe worth the $ to some if its true......just my guess

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
the 99+ mustang engine is not the same as the taurus engine.. It had better flowing split port heads, and a dual runner intake system, as well as a healthier cam. Very similar to the 96+ split port Ford Windstar engine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so are thos engines besides that the seem, or not.....i found a page that sells everything to rebuild a 3.8 for entire performance....?

·
Registered
157 Posts
You'd have to look at that page and see what year of 3.8 they're talking about. I know from looking at parts for my Mustang, that there's different parts for the 94-98's than the 99+'s. If the page is talking about the Mustang's 3.8, you want the 94-98 years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
lol i know this post is growing in age but i want to ask can i take my 91 3.8 block and put the duel runner intake and split port heads off the 99 + mustang?

Forgive my Ignorance

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
If you're looking for parts, you can also look for Ford Windstars with the 3.8L. I'm not sure if the split port induction engines were used beginning in 1996 or 1997 if those.

I just remember my mom's '95 3.8 experiencing the typical head gasket blowup...The first time at around 22k miles in 1998, the second time at 37k miles in 2000. At least both times were covered under the recall and they provided free loaners, the second time for an entire six weeks while the remanufactured engine was shipped in...

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
yes you can bolt the spi heads on a single port head. The questino would be hood clearance as you'd also have to use the spi intake. As well as larger injectors and then you'd have to somehow program the secondary intake runner valves (IRCM's I think they are called..)

Would be as much work as doing what DMX did with the supercoupe supercharger. Except the spi heads wouldn't make near as much power or tq..

Any there should never be a second time headgaskets blow if the job is done right the first time. Gotta mill the block surface, which most everyone does NOT do..

Jeramie

·
Registered
230 Posts
he questino would be hood clearance as you'd also have to use the spi intake. As well as larger injectors and then you'd have to somehow program the secondary intake runner valves
well he's got a gen 2 so one of those cincy SHO cowl hoods should take care of the clearance issue, larger injectors are not that difficult to add, and maybe a chip would help with the secondaries, or even wire them open, that way if you added a blower later it would flow better.

Would be as much work as doing what DMX did with the supercoupe supercharger. Except the spi heads wouldn't make near as much power or tq..
but the new heads flow better so if he adds a supercoupe blower later on it will all a decent bit more power than with the stock essex heads.

just some things to think about

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
the cowl hood adds clearence in the wrong direction.

the SC intake doesn't bolt up to the spi heads. you could though do some creative welding...... might as well convert the sc to blow down through an air/water ic then........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts