Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the headgaskets replaced on my '92 LX w/ 3.8. While the heads are off and the engine is accessible, is there anything extra I should have the shop guys look for or do? I anticipate a valve job and/or planing the heads if needed, but are there other things I should be doing or looking for?? THANKS.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
heads and intake will be off...port and polish them would be nice...

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Replace with copper head gastets. More expensive, and a PITA to find, but it'll be the last headgasket job you will ever do.

Depending on how long you drove it with the bad gaskets, new rod bearings may be in order, too.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
If the block surface is not smooth, machine that too. Otherwise its a lost cause.

And I'd say no to the copper headgaskets. All of the SC 3.8L guys have had problems with them leaking externally, plus the 4.2L MLS (multi-layered-steel) ford truck gasktets are more readily available and actually do a better job.. The felpro Blue gaskets are fine for a naturally aspirated vehicle. You could use the ford 4.2L MLS gaskets, but they are extremely sensitive to the surfaces they are sealing against. Both the head and block must be milled in order to successfully use the MLS gaskets.

I am using the felpro blue gaskets in my 1992 Thunderbird SC 3.8L, and under 17psi making 330.5 rwhp and 402.8 rwtq they are holding up just fine.

Jeramie

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi there!
It seems that I've to replace the head gaskets of my 1990 Taurus LX 3.8L.
As the only information about the work of replacement the gaskets I've got from Haynes, Chilton and Ford Car Shop Manual, I want to know if there's anything more than mentioned in these manuals.
F.e. which sort of gasket would do best, which sealant, do I need new head bolts?
As I had problems to get the right spark plug wires for my 3.8L (companys sent cables which where to short, although they were sure, that the wires were the right ones), how I can be sure to get the right gasket/bolts?
Thanx!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Contact Flat-Out Gaskets they can make rubber coated copper replacements that do not require any special surfacing (stock is fine), and do not leak. They can stand up to 20lbs of boost without an o-ring and 30 with. Good stuff, they are making 3.0L gaskets for me in .050" (std) and .090" (low compression). Turn around time is 2-3 weeks. Cost is $130-$170 per pair, based on thickness. Use new head bolts, or studs.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Fredness, you should post this info on www.shoforum.com

There is no longer a headgasket produced for the 3.2L SHO engine. Maybe these guys could help? Especially with all the guys doing the 3.2L conversion in their 5 speeds.

Sounds really cool!

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I've done 2 3.8 headgaskest so far. I buy the fel pro headgasket kit, which comes with all the gaskets you'll need to do the job correctly, including new valve seals. You also need new head bolts.

I also like to replace the serp belt and both pulleys, the water pump, plugs, wires, distrib. cap and rotor, and get a valve job done while the heads are being machined. And replace any coolant hoses that appear weak. And it's not unheard of to need a new radiarot after the headgaskets blow, as the high pressure it's put through when the gasket fails can weaken it.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts