Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not a bull, but one of my friends has a windstar with the 3.8 v6. He recently got the entire exhaust system replaced (including one leaky manifold) and then blew a rad hose. He had the hoses replaced with the thermostat and the sensor for the gauge. Now the gauge constantly goes up to the very high end of the normal range and then falls to the middle then goes back up and back down repeatedly while driving. I am suspecting the new thermostat temp is either too high or low for the engine but the mechanic says no. I'm just concerned he might warp the heads or blow the headgaskets. The van has 234k+ miles on it so it isn't exactly practical to fix any major problems and he really can't afford a new car right now. Any suggestions about what it could be?

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (Angrod @ Jun 30 2009, 03:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=736067
I know it's not a bull, but one of my friends has a windstar with the 3.8 v6. He recently got the entire exhaust system replaced (including one leaky manifold) and then blew a rad hose. He had the hoses replaced with the thermostat and the sensor for the gauge. Now the gauge constantly goes up to the very high end of the normal range and then falls to the middle then goes back up and back down repeatedly while driving. I am suspecting the new thermostat temp is either too high or low for the engine but the mechanic says no. I'm just concerned he might warp the heads or blow the headgaskets. The van has 234k+ miles on it so it isn't exactly practical to fix any major problems and he really can't afford a new car right now. Any suggestions about what it could be?[/b]
Check the cooling fan or fans. Make sure they are working (coming on and off) properly. The other likely cause is there may still be an "air pocket" in the cooling system. Sometimes they can take awhile to work out. When it is at operating temperature (but not running hot) loosen the radiator cap to allow the air to escape. You may have to repeat this a few times before the air is all out. Check to see if any water needs to be added. If the vehicle needs water and the engine is at operating temperature --> NEVER put in cold water! Use warm or hot water. The drastic temperature difference alone, can damage the engine. The 3.8 liter is notorious for cracking heads and blowing head gaskets anyway, so you need to be careful. If the engine is cold, it doesn't matter which you use. Also, there is a remote possibility that even though the thermostat is "new" it may be defective. I have run into that before, a few times. But it is unlikely. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Make sure it's full of coolant. May take a couple of days of topping off when cold.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I know my Vulcan's temp would rise and fall with engine RPMs (temp would lower when revved). From what I read the water pump was bad. Don't know if this applies here but just saying...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We found out what the problem is. The fans are only turning on high when the engine gets really toasty. They do not turn on low speed at all. I think it's a bad CCRM. He says he will take it to his mechanic to get it fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts