Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to replace my 3.5l non turbo in my 2010 Taurus SEL AWD. No thanks to what sounds like the water pump giving up on me after doing some reading.

Mine is a VIN code W. I am having issues finding a motor anywhere under the vin W. Are all the single cam 3.5l motors the same in all the cars around those years?
There seems to be a build split as well, does anyone know what the reason behind the split is?

And are the 3.7l from the Explorers and Lincolns compatible?
Compatible as far as direct drop in or would I have to reprogram my ecu or change out the ecu entirely?
All motor mounts match and the trans?

Just trying to expand my search here if I can as I see plenty of listings for other vin codes. Any advice would be helpful.

Also are there any DIY for engine replacements? Especially for out of the top, I don't have access to a lift to do this.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You ask about replacement for your 2010 Taurus, but the photo with the split you talk about is during the 2011 Taurus.
I had someone at one point that had a motor but they wouldn't sell it to me because of this build date ordeal. His car was built after the split, mine was not. He didn't know what the difference was and neither do I.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
757 Posts
I had someone at one point that had a motor but they wouldn't sell it to me because of this build date ordeal. His car was built after the split, mine was not. He didn't know what the difference was and neither do I.
I am not sure, but they did improve on the water-pump design at one point early on due to failures. I don't see where that would matter in your situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not sure, but they did improve on the water-pump design at one point early on due to failures. I don't see where that would matter in your situation.
Yes as far as I know they just beefed up the sprocket on the pump, from 1 row of teeth to 2. Wouldn't imagine it would affect the fit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You think the water pump is going bad and instead of replacing the water pump you want to replace the engine? If the water pump has gone bad and dropped coolant into the oil i could understand that, but that is not what you have so far stated. Why not just do the water pump...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You think the water pump is going bad and instead of replacing the water pump you want to replace the engine? If the water pump has gone bad and dropped coolant into the oil i could understand that, but that is not what you have so far stated. Why not just do the water pump...
Well I see you are correct, I did not clearly state that. The water pump did fail on me and coolant is in the engine. Although, now that it has sat for a while and settled, it does not look like a whole bunch got in there like I had originally thought. We decided to try replacing the pump and flushing it a few times and see if my current motor develops a knock or not. Worse case the motor goes anyways and I end up replacing it anyways. All the parts I put on it I'll take back off and put on a used motor once I find one. I'll just be out some fuids and gaskets worse case. But I might be able to save a couple thousand if it works.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well I see you are correct, I did not clearly state that. The water pump did fail on me and coolant is in the engine. Although, now that it has sat for a while and settled, it does not look like a whole bunch got in there like I had originally thought. We decided to try replacing the pump and flushing it a few times and see if my current motor develops a knock or not. Worse case the motor goes anyways and I end up replacing it anyways. All the parts I put on it I'll take back off and put on a used motor once I find one. I'll just be out some fuids and gaskets worse case. But I might be able to save a couple thousand if it works.
Let us know how it turns out. I hope you catch a big break...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let us know how it turns out. I hope you catch a big break...
Well, sorry it has taken this long but it has been quite the trip with this car. I ended up not getting another motor and went through with trying to just do the basic repair instead.

Well, the repair didn't go as planned by any means as most repairs do. We actually did the repair correctly and didn't screw up the timing or anything but one of the two gaskets on the waterpump didn't make it on before putting everything back together. We don't like to talk about how that happened lol. We did fire the car up since there was no collant in it to get a flush going with new oil/filter to start the first flush and all went fine.

After that, we did the whole repair again for that second gasket. This time we did screw up the timing and killed all the intake valves on the LH head. So we ended up tearing it all back apart and pulled the heads to get repaired. I came across a sweet deal that made this very cheap for me to rebuild the heads.

We put it all back together again, this time we 100% knew what we were doing with the timing and checked it like 18 times each before full assembly again. Finally got it back together this last Thursday and the car runs. It ran, we didn't kill any valves, but now we have a check engine light with codes p0011, p0018, and p0021.

So now I get to do some homework on what cpuld be a cause and how I may diag this to be more sure before I start throwing parts at it and God forbid having to tear this thing apart a 4th flipping time.

I have a feeling the cam sensors are upset that we removed them to fix the heads and now they don't want to play anymore, but I'm sure there are plenty other possible causes at play here too. Any advice on the codes is more than welcome. I'll be searching the interwebs today and tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts