Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2013 3.5 to get its coolant flushed. It is from a constantly warm climate and was here for a few weeks before I could get it done. After the flush, the heat didnt work. My wife then took it to work and told me it was saying the coolant was too hot. I went to her work and saw the coolant was empty. I drove it to Napa to get coolant (temp remained normal, but no heat) and refilled it. It started draining it all out from in between the block and transmission.

Had it towed to the same shop, they said the block is cracked. Its warranted but now I'm waiting a while for a new motor.
Heres the issue...the shop said I had a coolant leak before flushing. It never left a drop on the garage floor and the level always remained full. Always had hot heat.
So I don't know what leak they saw, but why would the block crack after a flush? Could it have cracked when my wife drove it too hot? Until that point, there was NEVER a drop of coolant under the car. Could the flush have damaged the notorious waterpump?

I'm pretty shocked by this.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Sounds to me like the shop either didn't put coolant back into it or put 1/2 the amount in.
And if it was between block and trannnie, sounds like its a bad freeze plug rather than
a cracked block. Dont know how you could really inspect that without separating the
motor from trannie. Did they do that?

bob

·
Administrator
14,913 Posts
Sounds to me like the shop either didn't put coolant back into it or put 1/2 the amount in.
And if it was between block and trannnie, sounds like its a bad freeze plug rather than
a cracked block. Dont know how you could really inspect that without separating the
motor from trannie. Did they do that?

bob
^
THIS! Exactly this, 100%

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
I agree 100% with Bob and Mark. Find a shop that actually knows something about cars.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They did remove the tranny. The warranty inspector is due to look at it, so it must be cracked. I drove for an hour after the flush, then checked the level and it was normal. The next day when my wife took it it must have gushed out because there wasnt a drop where it was parked. If theres NOT a crack then the inspector will call it out I'd imagine. But then I may be stuck.

·
Administrator
14,913 Posts
You live in Maine, they did a flush, the temp undoubtedly dropped to well below freezing sometime after they did it. Crack or freeze plug there is no way in God's good creation you should be 'stuck'

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I meant I might be screwed with the warranty because the guy looked at it and said he didnt see anything, but they tried showing him. The tranny was lowered but not out of the way completely. So now they removed the entire transmission for him to get a better look whenever he comes back. I'm just surprised that is cracked. I'm a bit suspicious about them saying it was leaking, when I know it wasnt, and then having issues right after.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Warranty isn't covering any of it. I'm out $3700. I was up all night thinking about how everything was fine before they flushed it and the next day the coolant was low. Also, if the block had a crack would it be gushing out the way it was?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I meant I might be screwed with the warranty because the guy looked at it and said he didnt see anything, but they tried showing him. The tranny was lowered but not out of the way completely. So now they removed the entire transmission for him to get a better look whenever he comes back. I'm just surprised that is cracked. I'm a bit suspicious about them saying it was leaking, when I know it wasnt, and then having issues right after.
If you pour coolant in and it gushes out -then pretty hard to say that he didn't see anything. Pour more in and have him look again!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Who supplied the warranty? What was the explanation not to cover it? It should be a written statement of some kind or you need to get one. Warranty inspector is blaming the shop and shop is blaming manufacturer. However why would the block crack like that on an overheat and not just crack a cylinder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if it was cracked before it would have leaked out after the FnF, if it was low prior to the service (it likely wasn't) then any tech should take note that it was low and ask the advisor why was it there for a flush. if it had no heat afterwords then that's proof it was low. someone made a mistake, didn't fill it enough and/or didn't purge the air from the cooling system after the service was performed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Turns out there was fine print on the warranty stating it must be driven 1000 miles before it starts. Absolute ripoff. Anyway, theres a crack in the block next to the freeze plug (their description). I told them I shouldnt be paying a dime because it was fine before they flushed it. Have not heard anything since last weekend.

The level was full prior and the heat worked fine. What is the Fnf? I feel like i know but can't remember. No leaks prior, either.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
My condolences on your troubles. Not making light of your issues, rather trying to get to the real bottom of what may have happened if they did put in a proper antifreeze mix refill.

I will throw this out there as a possibility.

I work with industrial UV lighting which creates enormous heat. The systems are all water cooled. The customers never take care of the chiller units until something clogs up, and then we have to do a chemical flush to get out all the crap.

When we come at the system on day one of the flush, nothing is moving in the pipes, but nothing is leaking. Then we start to dissolve the junk clogging up the lines with the flushing agents.

Lo and Behold! The only thing stopping that rotted out coolant channel from leaking....wait for it.... WAS the junk in the system!
Now that we have removed the junk, the hole starts spewing antifreeze.

Who is to blame in this situation? Whoever originally let the system go this bad.

I've been on the other end of this dilemma and it sucks for both parties.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
12 Participants
taucor0315
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing