Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I had a quick search and found nothing, so nobody flame me if it's been discussed somewhere.

I know the V8 SHO has a bad reputation for the cam going sour and the pistons smashing the valves and the engine going to hell in a handbasket. From what I've gathered, it's an issue with the cam itself, and not other design flaws in the engine. So if I were to weld the sprockets to the cam, like I've read, would that avoid the whole catastrophic engine failure problem, or are there other issues I should address before I get rough with it?

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
QUOTE (Palach @ Jun 13 2009, 10:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732102
Hey everyone! I had a quick search and found nothing, so nobody flame me if it's been discussed somewhere.

I know the V8 SHO has a bad reputation for the cam going sour and the pistons smashing the valves and the engine going to hell in a handbasket. From what I've gathered, it's an issue with the cam itself, and not other design flaws in the engine. So if I were to weld the sprockets to the cam, like I've read, would that avoid the whole catastrophic engine failure problem, or are there other issues I should address before I get rough with it?[/b]

Just never leave it at a McDonald's for a few hours, you'll never see it again. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Yes welding the cam sprockets will fix the problem. Welding them yourself is dependent on your skills as to whether you have problems after weld or not.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks SHOZ123. So the cam failing was the only issue with the reliability of the engines?

@ Silver Thunder: I don't quite follow...

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The original coils go bad on the V8. And the secondaries will gunk up with carbon and cause IRMC problems. Other than that they are extremely reliable engines.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
QUOTE (Palach @ Jun 14 2009, 05:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732165
Thanks SHOZ123. So the cam failing was the only issue with the reliability of the engines?

@ Silver Thunder: I don't quite follow...[/b]

GUN SHO's SHO had a problem yesterday and we left it at a McDonald's parking lot and told them we'd come back later to pick it up. They had it towed. :emo:

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
QUOTE (SilverThunder @ Jun 14 2009, 06:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732258
QUOTE (Palach @ Jun 14 2009, 05:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732165

@ Silver Thunder: I don't quite follow...[/b]

GUN SHO's SHO had a problem yesterday and we left it at a McDonald's parking lot and told them we'd come back later to pick it up. They had it towed. :emo:
[/b][/quote]

Yup not fun at all, so weak on Mcdonalds part to do that. I wont eat there again :rofl2:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ GUN SHO: That sucks. But in their defense, they've made a career of working at McDonalds. I think they've been punished enough. =P

@ SHOZ123: So, I replace the coils, and is there a preventative measure to stop carbon buildup? If I buy the V8, I'm going to blueprint and balance it before it goes in, on top of god only knows what else, so anything else I can do to make sure I don't have to rip it out again or do painfully repetitive upkeep would be appreciated information.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 14 2009, 09:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732308
Maybe they decided Ford made a mistake in shaping it like a jellybean and are going to try and turn it into a McNugget.[/b]
If your gonna diss the car diss it right. It's a raccoon not a jellybean. :angry:

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
holy triple post batman!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
:rofl2: !!!!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right...

Has anybody done an engine swap to a 3.4L? I was wondering how many of the sensors need different plugs, how much electrical work is needed total (spliciing and re-wiring, not just plug-and-play) and if I need to grab the tranny and driveshaft out of the donor SHO in the yard?

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
QUOTE (SilverThunder @ Jun 14 2009, 10:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732318
holy triple post batman![/b]
Damn Itouch and my fat fingers LOL

QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 15 2009, 12:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732328
If your gonna diss the car diss it right. It's a raccoon not a jellybean.[/b]
I've been dissin them correctly since they came out in 96, thank you. Did you seriously get mad about that comment?? My goodness. It's not just your car, it's ALL the 96-99 jellybean bodied cars and yeah, I certainly see a coon there.................

LOOK!!!! a super rare rose mist SHO ^^^^
[/b][/quote]

Haha I was just playing around. I prefer raccoon over jelly bean just sounds gay lol.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
QUOTE (Palach @ Jun 15 2009, 07:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732360
Right...

Has anybody done an engine swap to a 3.4L? I was wondering how many of the sensors need different plugs, how much electrical work is needed total (spliciing and re-wiring, not just plug-and-play) and if I need to grab the tranny and driveshaft out of the donor SHO in the yard?[/b]
You'll need the entire SHO subframe and wiring harness. Possibly the fuel system as well. NESHO has done a 3.4 swap into a g4. Very involved, and wiring intensive. Even on a g3, it will still be a fairly difficult ordeal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts