Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the wagon body is pretty much a loss to rust by now. Motor/trans is in great shape, so it's all getting saved. Pretty much everything but the body is getting saved actually.

So, the interior is pretty easy to store crated up. The motor/trans will live on a pallet with some sort of home made 2x4 cradle.

Now, what's the best way to preserve both engine and trans for a few years? I figure in the 1-3 year range, but it could be more/less.

Things I've heard for engine storage:

1.) Get some fogging oil and inject while its running until it stalls, then pull plugs and spray more in cylinders.
2.) Fill the cylinders with some Marvel Mystery Oil
3.) Drain the oil, store empty
4.) Fill it with as much oil as will fit, store full
5.) Store engine in an air tight bag with silica gel to keep it dry
6.) Take it all apart and store all the parts separately (I want to avoid this if possible)
7.) Rotate the crank once a month or so and stop in a different position so the same valve springs aren't alway depressed.

I have no idea about trans storage. Keep it full of fresh fluid or flush/drain it?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Road salt and constantly being parked in snow killed it. Next time I'm coating the underside before I put it together. Thankfully nothing SHO is in bad shape minus the SAI pump, but that's nothing major.

It'll come back to life when I can get a body that's rust free.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts