Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I hope to have pics soon.. any people who have done this or know about this please help me out, I'll probably ask a LOT of questions on the way!

Right now i Have a COUPLE

1. Right now i am removing all the excess wiring from the 3.8L Essex, headlight wiring, antilock, various sensors and such. I started at the back left (passenger side) and working my way all the way around to the back right (in front of driver), my question is..

Is there ANYTHING i need to keep from this wiring harness?

2. All the coolant tanks and plumbing looks the same.. will I need ANY of this from the essex?

3. the vacum accessories and such like the same.. will i need any of this from the essex?

basically, besides the engine and tranny (the tranny i dont plan to use just yet)
what else do i need to save from the essex?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
:eek:

Wow, your just non-stop! AWSOME!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
you will probbaly need small things here ant there along the way. Specifically, im not sure, but if you can keep the old car, as youll need to heep going back to it for parts. If you were to go to the dealer for little parts here and there, it will add up!!!

Hope i can help more!

Brad

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i was being a bit anal taking everything out too!! lol
I took a ton of pictures of everything i removed, I almost have the whole harness off, without breaking anything! lol

Ive read around and basically i figure i need the engine block, intake, headers, ECU, and everything else attahced to the motor (water pump, PS pump, Alt, things like that) but im hoping everything else can stay the same, even if i am being a tad anal taking everything off, I dont want to break anything in case i need it.

Only thing i plan to do to make removing the 3.8 from the wagon easier is cutting away the entire front of the engine bay.

I noticed that the throttle control in the 3.8 is WAY left of the 3.0 position, im hoping this wont cause problems,

ahh well... tomorrow im going to spend all day and see if i can get the 3.8 out first.

I have a fairly large shopping list for the 3.8

I want to port and polish upper and lower intakes, and match the gaskets
I kinda want to get this stuff from morana V6 racing

the 1.8 roller rockers
Phenolic spacer
3 layer head gaskets

dunno what else i would get. I basically want to get the 3.8 running purrr-fectly
in my car by mid oct early nov... then MAYBE ill start taking the parts of the Thunderbird SC and finding out what i have to do to get it mounted on the essex

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by fordaspiregv@Sep 12 2004, 07:38 PM
:eek:

Wow, your just non-stop! AWSOME!!!!
not exactly non stop, lol

I want my taurus to be killer =]

then ill get

"RICEBRNR"

license plates =], my hometown is FULL of ricers! ill get some pics sometime.. its kinda sad

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I don't think there is room to use the phenolic spacers. Those are really meant for the rwd guys.

Also, in order to use the MLS headgaskets, you MUST mill both the head AND block surfaces. They MUST have a smooth finish. Head studs would also be a good idea.

If you can't mill the block (requires dis-assembling the whole shortblock), you'll get better results with the felpro blue gaskets dressed with copper spray.

I run the felpro blues on my '92 Thunderbird SC, and its holding up to the dyno numbers in my sig, as well as 15psi boost.

Good luck!

Jeramie

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well. that is killer nice looking and somewhat huge gains..

thanks for the info reguarding the phelonic spacers...
i ran into a snag today with the 3.8.. guna put me back a day or two..

damn lower intake bolt broke, the one thats got the brace attached to it. lol

Oh well.. ima get a friend to come over and fix it.. lol
i guess hell have to drill it out and helicoil it =/

stupid thing.. 1 bolt out of 14 and it broke.. and almost NO torque on it either.. regular closed end socket and clink!! broke. damn. cant get the heads off or anything =/

G

·
Gotta love broken bolts. <_< Good luck with your swap, can't wait to see some pics. Gonna do anything cool to mod the 3.8 once you get it in there? :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i was gunna have the intake painted to match the car, then do the lettering and such in yellow =] (blue/yellow has nice contrast) prolly get it dressed up a bit as well... but mainly im going for performance,
I dont plan to put it into my car right away, im going to take some time with it and get as many parts as possible (over time) to make it capable of handling a nice boost =]

the powerpack from supersixmotorsports.com looks good, but ill have to ask a round to see if its worth it =]

definately going to do a lot of P&P, roller rockers, new gaskets all around.. basically upgrade anything i can to get horse and torque into my GL B)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts