Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is one of the most common leaks on a Taurus that we see. They start off slow but I have seen them go all out with a rapid loss of coolant. If yours has this issue and have been putting it off here is the definitive how to video to get it sealed back up with a few tips and tricks to make it all a little easier. Hope this helps........

·
Registered
284 Posts
You are very knowledgeable and make it look easy. Thanks for sharing with us. I fear I will be doing this repair for the second time soon. I've got a slow drip starting again on the top of the cover because a strip of the gasket broke away.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
If you follow it step by step and take your time it is easy enough anyway. Much easier than the new engine front covers like the 3.5L what a pain that is.
What did you use to clean the engine block surface, it's the best cleaning I have ever seen and I have done the job twice on my two Taurus.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did you use to clean the engine block surface, it's the best cleaning I have ever seen and I have done the job twice on my two Taurus.
Scraper to get the big chunks of the paper gasket off, then die grinder with 3M cookies on them then a final polish with scotch brite get them nice and clean and smooth. You just need to cover the exposed engine components like the chain etc so they don't get no grit then a thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
So what pad do you use that removes the gasket material not the aluminum. I have to say I am a bit leary of using the die grinder on gasket surface even though I love it with sanding disks for many tasks. I know pro guys do though. I would actually love to see a video of you doing this. Sometimes the darn gasket clean up takes as much time as turning wrenches.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
^^^ its also the most important part or the job. I was not aware of the issue with using RTV on both sides of a paper gasket.

I have always used RTV on both sides of gaskets without issue myself, but I guess I could see how that could under the right case could let a gasket slide out. RTV does make the cleanup for a later replacement go way easier then the first time where just a paper gasket was way backed on the parts.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Great video makuloco! After cleaning the engine and driving it around for a week I ran across your video while trying to see what part was left off when I had my compressor replaced. The O2 sensor connectors are just dangling and I can't see where they go.

Anyway, I checked that rear top portion of the timing cover and sure enough it's just a little bit wet. I've had to add water to bring the level from the middle to the top line of the reserve once or twice a year since the car was new (which is normal) so I never even thought to check. The job doesn't look too difficult, just tedious. What is the book time on it and how long does it take you to do it? Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great video makuloco! After cleaning the engine and driving it around for a week I ran across your video while trying to see what part was left off when I had my compressor replaced. The O2 sensor connectors are just dangling and I can't see where they go.

Anyway, I checked that rear top portion of the timing cover and sure enough it's just a little bit wet. I've had to add water to bring the level from the middle to the top line of the reserve once or twice a year since the car was new (which is normal) so I never even thought to check. The job doesn't look too difficult, just tedious. What is the book time on it and how long does it take you to do it? Thanks!
It takes a good 3-4 hrs depending on if you are cleaning up all of this stuff or changing most of the parts out, as you said the job is very tedious mainly because of the cleaning, but it is very important.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
It takes a good 3-4 hrs depending on if you are cleaning up all of this stuff or changing most of the parts out, as you said the job is very tedious mainly because of the cleaning, but it is very important.
Well, I will never make a living doing this type of work. I just got done with TC gasket job plus a lower radiator hose, reservoir to lower radiator hose and a harmonic balancer sleeve repair and it took eight hours. I install a new timing cover and water pump. I didn't do the oil pan gasket either. I guess I need to start using a air ratchet but I guess I like the feel of hand ratchet, especially during the install.

I did use the die grinder with a 2 inch scotch wheel for block clean up and it worked great.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Well at 107k mi it looks like I DO have a timing cover leak in addition to my weeping rocker cover gasket. For a whopping $12.69, I verified this with some UV coolant dye from O'Reilly's and a cheap ebay UV flashlight. It weeps just a teeny tiny bit when starting up from cold and then stops. I just ordered an OEM cover, gasket, seal and water pump from Tasca. It's too much work to be cheap and save $110 with the Dorman part. I've had this baby since new in 11/99 and she's going to college with my kids in 5 years. Then *I* get a new ride and my wife gets the 02 Ody :lol2:.

It's way too cold to work in my detached garage so I'll tackle this once the weather gets warmer and I'll have parts in case it lets go and I have to take it to the shop :rolleyes:.

Just a few quick questions:

1) According to the factory manual I can pull the cover out with the pump attached (pulley removed of course) without having to pull the P/S pump or bracket...correct?

2) You don't show the pulley installer. Will this one work? Pulley Remover and Installer Set

TIA

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Based on my experience, the answer to the first question is yes. The second question is yes based on the Harbor Freight looks like the Autozone one that you can borrow. It took me close to eight hours from jacking to clean up.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Thanks automender! The HF kit in the link looks like same one I borrowed from Autozone to remove and install the P/S pump pulley when I changed the pump to a NAPA lifetime reman last summer.

What was the biggest pain/took you the longest?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
OK just because I'm a dweeb I'm confessing to finally changing my leaking front cover after confirming it was leaking three years ago. It was probably leaking many years before that. I just started noticing a little coolant loss beyond the once a yr top off so I dove in since the wifey was out of town for a few days and the parts have been sitting here forever.

Both coolant passages were leaking. Although I could only see the rear one, the front one was the worst with all sorts of dripping goo hidden and even collecting inside the end of the lower hose. Crankshaft seal was leaking too and instead of dripping on the exhaust it just created the creature from the black lagoon inside the pulley.

Only 141k miles now. It was my company car long ago. Now it's the wife's DD and the kids learner's vehicle. Always garaged so it looks and runs great!...every month it lives it pays me $$. Wrenching on it fosters sanity. Thanks for you help!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
7 Participants
gapfaff
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing