Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Looking into getting an affordable exhaust for my '97. I'm leaning towards an MRT single aero resonator, but if y'all have any other suggestions, I'd be open to hearing them.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have a 2.5 inch, y-pipe back, custom bent system without the 3rd cat or resonator with an aero muffler. It works for me, but I'd like to replace the muffler with a small Magnaflow.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I really like FFVulcan's exhaust setup, which keeps the stock 2.25" piping, replaces the stock resonator with a Magnaflow 4" round muffler and a Magnaflow 3-chamber muffler at the rear. He also gutted some cats (Can't remember which ones) and the end result was a sound some people said sounded like a G35.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm quite partial to the Original Flowmaster 40. However, I ran an Aero Turbine muffler on my Jeep, and the sound was nice.. (even though it was a completely different engine.) I'd personally love to see how it would sound on a Taurus.

FFVVulcanPowah (Mark) went through like 80 different setups and essentially came down to the "Ford didnt **** this up" conclusion. His current exhaust sounds great and works great too.

·
Registered
374 Posts
FFVVulcanPowah (Mark) went through like 80 different setups and essentially came down to the "Ford didnt **** this up" conclusion. His current exhaust sounds great and works great too.
I agree with that sentiment, even on my 94 Mazda B3000, took off the stock muffler and replaced with a Flowmaster Delta Flow 40-series, the sound was barely louder than stock. Tried some other mufflers I had access to and same result, ran it straight out of the cats for about two days, sounded the best there, but way too loud and raspy. My final thoughts were to just run a small resonator. The Vulcan uncorked is a wonderful sound..

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a 2.5" off the manifold no third cat no resanator and start into a magnaflow muffler with dual 4 inch tips. Sounds like a v-8. Its reallt nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I'm also looking into the Flowmaster Delta Flow 40, or something similar, but I'm worried about the sound. I'm in college so I don't have the money to throw around to try a bunch of them. I'm looking for an aggressive sound, but not unbearably loud inside.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm also looking into the Flowmaster Delta Flow 40, or something similar, but I'm worried about the sound. I'm in college so I don't have the money to throw around to try a bunch of them. I'm looking for an aggressive sound, but not unbearably loud inside.
Since you got a 97, Just replacing the muffler with a Flowmaster wont be too loud (just dont mess with the resonators and cats.).. however whats Loud to me may not be whats loud to you.

Here's a Flowmaster American Thunder 40 (with a 3" CAI) On a 96 with the same motor. (the CAI is only heard at WOT.)

FYI the interior sound is with the windows open. The drone is minimal.. and my passengers with whom i carried regularly didn't complain. Also conversations and music was not hampered in the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I really like FFVulcan's exhaust setup, which keeps the stock 2.25" piping, replaces the stock resonator with a Magnaflow 4" round muffler and a Magnaflow 3-chamber muffler at the rear. He also gutted some cats (Can't remember which ones) and the end result was a sound some people said sounded like a G35.
I have a catless y-pipe, and no 3rd cat. No gutted ones, here.

The "famous" video that people like to reference had my old setup with 2.5" piping, and a 6" round magnaflow. Still no cats, and no rear mufflers, either. The current setup sounds similar, but has a tinge more "throatyness" on idle-down because of the chambered mufflers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts