Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for those of you that might know, is the Bellhousing bolt pattern the same for the FWD 3.8L essex and for the 3.0 Vulcan???????

Just wondering because eventually I might think of looking to upgrade the 3.0 Vulcan to the 3.8l Essex, and with running the MTX tranny, I'm sorta concerned of bolt patterns, and such....

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about the same HP, but alot more torque......

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Yes, the 3.8L will work with the MTX. I'm pretty sure you're going to need a flywheel custom-made though. Hamal (Racer X) was working on swapping an MTX4 into his Essex before he got his SHO so if you're serious about this, PM him. btw, the flywheel will probably cost you around $650.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about a flywheel off of a Aerostar or mustang, or T-Bird?????/ will that work, or are they too big in diameter?????

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Originally posted by firstgen86l@May 8 2004, 12:30 PM
What about a flywheel off of a Aerostar or mustang, or T-Bird?????/ will that work, or are they too big in diameter?????
Well, I don't think the Aerostar ever came with a manual transmission and the T-Bird and Mustang are RWD, so I would have to saw no.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think that RWD and FWD make that much of a difference in flywheel selection, and yeah the awrostar came in a manual transmission, but again I'm thinking of that the aerostars used a 3.0 not a 3.8

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Aerostars used a 3.0 or 4.0, Tbird SC flywheel is waaay too big (11.5" clutch diameter), so hope for a smaller mustang unit (10" I think)

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gonna have to do some looking around........

in the end what I'm thinking, is 3.8 SC backed by a 5 speed SHO manual Trans

I think that, that owuld be a potent combo

·
Banned
509 Posts
Originally posted by Xee+May 8 2004, 01:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Xee @ May 8 2004, 01:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-firstgen86l@May 8 2004, 12:30 PM
Well, I don't think the Aerostar ever came with a manual transmission and the T-Bird and Mustang are RWD, so I would have to saw no. [/b][/quote]
my 2nd car was a 1991 Ford Aerostar, and it was a standard, and my mechanic said he NEVER had seen one before.. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts